Author Topic: First time con goer needs advice!  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Charlatan

• Cabbit
First time con goer needs advice!
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:16:57 pm »
Hi everyone! ;) ;D

This is my first time at Kumoricon, and for that matter my first anime/sci-fi/etc. convention *ever*!

My dad and I just moved to Portland, OR from Tallahassee, FL (we haven't even been here a week, and I don't even have an apartment yet!), and suffice it to say I'm a little intimidated by all this, but when I heard about the cosplay chess games I got a better idea of what the 'Con's all about, and I feel better because the point is apparently to have screwball fun. :P ;D

No funny outfits/cosplay for me this year, as I arrived in Portland just this month and don't have time/money/resources to snap anything together. That and I'm lazy. Maybe next year. Since I have no clue how to make funny hair, I was thinking of maybe Baird from Gears of War...

Anyway, yes, as the title bar indicates, I would appreciate any and all advice, from 'Con basics to nifty things to do to whatever you can provide, as this is my FIRST time to such an event.

Lodging and transportation shouldn't be a factor for me as I live within the Metro area, specifically when I get to living in my apartment I'll be directly bum-to-bum with Portland State University.

Many thanks!

~Charlatan
This space for rent.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
Re: First time con goer needs advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:21:46 pm »
Welcome to Portland, Oregon, then! This will be my third con, and my second time at Kumoricon. What I've learned from most is that they all have a schedule and go to the panels they want to go to, so be sure to know what you're into, and make it to the panels that you'd enjoy. Be sure to shower daily, as no one likes Otaku funk, and if you're a gamer, beware of the gaming room, that place usually tends to smell rather bad.
Be sure to eat! A lot of us tend to forget that, and get plenty of sleep; you don't want to be tired out by the end. I'd say at least 4 hours of sleep minimum. Take pictures of characters you like, and don't be afraid to talk to people; most of us are friendly, and really like making new friends.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and be sure to follow the rules, and respect the Staff, they work hard and have to put up with us all.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:23:08 pm by Sayda »
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:34:52 pm »
Don't forget to drink plenty of water! Cos you wouldn't want to pass out :P

And if you wanna save money and eat healthy, pack your own lunches. Mall food isn't that great anyway >___>

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:40:53 pm »
I've been to many a convention, and can help you out extensively with any of your convention worries.

oslapedo

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:06:22 pm »
I'm a first time con goer too! Maybe we'll bump intoeach other and have n00blicous fun time together! xD

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:24 pm »
this'll be my second con but I also will have tons of other first con goers. I say make sure to have comfortable shoes, water, camera, and try not to get lost. ^_^ and try not to lose your friends, I learned that one the hard way. lol
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:48:46 pm »
This is my third con and I guess the advice that I will give you is to take lots of pictures and do what you want to do. If a friend wants to do something but you aren't interested then go off by yourself. You don't always have to have a friend with you.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 04:44:38 pm »
Let's see, you'll be given the usual advice about water and registration....

First off, don't worry too much about having to choose between two events. If there is an event featuring a PERSON that you want to meet then make sure that that event takes priority. Seeing your heroes is one of the best things about conventions. If you are choosing between regular panels then consider how long the event is, if you can take in two shorter panels that also interest you then go for it!

Second, make sure to poke your head in the viewing rooms every now and then. There's some great stuff I never would have watched if I hadn't been lucky enough to sit down in the viewing room for awhile.

Third, if one of the major events like a concert or the cosplay interest you then make sure you go. These are the most talked about events and you can't trust the people recording it to do it justice on youtube later. You don't want to miss anything.

Fourth, save at least 60$ (if you have it) for the Exhibitor's Hall. Make sure that you check out all the booths before you buy something, you may spot two things you love at a back booth that cost the same as that cool toy near the front door. Don't forget to check out Artist's Alley too, you may find some high quality doujinshi of your "One True Pairing"!

Fifth, keep your swag bag with you, don't put it in your car. You never know when you might get something for free or win something.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 04:53:52 pm »
Well here is my list that always helps me XD

° DRINK - LOTS of Water.You don't want to end up dehydrated and only drinking soda and Ramune (which dehydrates you even more)
° SLEEP - You might think you don't need it, but an awake con goer, is the best con goer!
° EAT - Bring food with you. Food around the con area is usually expensive, and you'll end up using all your money on food than that amazing action figure you wanted that you would give you left arm for.
° REGISTRATION/MONEY Don't forget ID and such! And MONEY. That would be horrible : [
Though don't assume there is a bank around the con, because the closest one might be 5 miles away.
° COMFORTABLE CLOTHES/SHOES - A large necessity, espcially at a con. You don't know exactly what the weather may be like, so more clothes the better. And you are stuck with a few attires  : D Shoes are a LARGE aspect. You'll be walking a lot, so high heels aren't the best of choices. Remember, comfort is your friend.
° EVENTS The most popular events are filled fast, so get there early! (Such as the COSPLAY CONTEST) : O
° HYGIENE PRODUCTS You best friend.
° NOTEBOOK Just in case you make friends and want to swap information
° CELL PHONE AND CHARGER Explainable.
° CAMERA/BATTERIES Really important if you want to catch the memories : D
° A GOOD ATTITUDE Who doesn't love those?  : D

oslapedo

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 06:20:01 pm »
They have doujinshi at KCon?! Be still my floundering heart!

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 06:25:05 pm »
Also, if you ever find yourself lonely, just go up to a happy-looking circle of people and say hi! c: More than likely they'll let you hang out xD You can meet a ton of friends at cons simply as that!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 07:20:09 pm »
a hint on cheap cosplay: head over to hot topic and grab a naruto headband. then just dress up in what u think your ninja would wear :)

kinda overdone but cheap if you need something quick
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:35:08 am »
Or see if you get your hands on a kimono...stealth cosplay...

Yeah, be sure to drop the Artist alley, and ask where you can find that....just listen for someone shouting "matt damon" (inside joke) and you'll find us in with the exhibitors. Also swing by the Art Show. This is the first year for this. I know there will be some awesome stuff there (mostly because I know what *I* am submitting... ::) )

Have fun and see you around!

oslapedo

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:43:34 am »
We could play Matt Damon marco polo to find each other :D

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:47 pm »
Welcome to Oregon and K-con then!   :D

Apart from what others said, I will reiterate DRINK, EAT, SLEEP!  It's incredibly easy to forget to participate in basic routine when you're having such a fantastic time.   :o  Last year I ended up very worn out by the last day because I forgot to eat well...and I had a friend who nearly gave herself heat stroke because she wasn't gulping water regularly.   :-\

Also, taking pictures is ultimately my favorite part of the con- so BRING YOUR CAMERA, MEMORY CARD AND EXTRA BATTERIES!  Also, don't be afraid to ask for someone's photo, getting our picture taken is the main reason we all work so hard and spend so much money on cosplay. 

And on a similar note, as someone above mentioned, don't be afraid to say Hello!  95+% of the time someone will be thrilled to hang out and chat with you!  The other 5% of the time they're just exhausted or too shy themselves.  ;)

I hope you have a blast!   ;D
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 08:29:54 pm »
This is my 3rd Kumoricon, I'm bringing 4 first con goers with me, and welcome to the rain!

pm and we could work out some meeting times and hang out. my first con I was all by myself the whole time, but I loved it. everyones nice and helpful, im sure you'll have a great time. but yeah feel free to pm me.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 10:19:36 pm »
This is my second con! Its fun!!! My warning to you is that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!! XD so enjoy the most random experiences ever. And usually its best to ask people if you can hug them first, but don't be surprised if someone tackles you out of the blue. You also might want to bring an extra camera battery sometimes it can run out before you have taken all the pics you want.. Also be sure to keep only the good pics to save space for more good pics.

Offline Ryanne_monday

• Cabbit
    • My myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 10:56:41 am »
Yeah, welcome to Oregon and you're going to have a blast at the con.
As of all the experiences I've had - Con goers are some of the nicest people around, little loud - but sweethearts ^^
Everyone's covered the basics but I'll enlighten on some of the cultural aspects. It's been my experience to witness random people running up and hugging other random people - it's a like a giant collection of fandom and everyone's a little giddy. You'll see cosplayers walk by in giant groups of shows or games - some with life sized cannons *cough*EVE*cough* and some with an amry of fangirls.
My main point though is to just be vocal. We all share the same likes here - you see someone who looks amazing, let them know - it feels great to be told how great all our hard work looks on us. Oh -but be a little aware of pictures.
It's fine to take pictures of people - and if you ask, we'll pose - but if you see a large group of people taking picture after picture of a single cosplayer - and it's pose after pose - be a little merciful and wait for another time. ^^
FINAL FANTASY SEVEN FORUM

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 10:47:15 pm »
We cosplayers take it as a huge complement to have out picture taken....unlike Ryanne says I like to get my picture taken one after another. The only thing that I would suggest is if you know that it is someone with a really cool costume and you ask to take their picture, pull them away from the middle of the walk way. That was if a large group does form then it isn't blocking passer byers ^_^

Offline LittleKarasu

• Sailor Scout
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 02:19:18 pm »
This will be my first con as well so I'll give you tips I got from Anime Insider, Drama Con, and random people.
Dealers Room
Dealers rooms are normaly crowded so leave big bags and props in your room or with a friend.
Compare prices, if you see something you want look around and see if other tables have it cheaper.
Look at everything, don't blow all your money at the first table you see.
Before you buy it think if you realy want it!
Bring cash not all dealers  take credit cards.

Be Organized
If you are going with friends decide who is bringing what.
Pack neatly
Decide ahead of time when and what you want to see, and when you should eat sleep and shower, if you write it all down you will be less likely to miss them.
Bring a cell phone and/or a watch!
Bring your own food and LOTS OF WATER! carrying a small bag of veggies or trail mix is great for snacking on the go.
Most places have maps of the hotel at the front desk, take one cuz you never know when you could get lost.

Cosplay Emergency Kit
It's always great to bring a small sewing kit, just pack a needle, some buttons, safty pins, bobby pins, thread, small scissors and super glue. Also bandaids would be a good idea.

THE TEN CON-MANDMENTS  
1. Thou shalt observe excellent hygiene even if thou normally dost not.
2. Thou shalt keep it the hell down in the hotel hallway. Everyone else wants to sleep, and some are more than willing to beat thou up.
3. Thou shalt not fight over the last Kyo purse.
4. Thou shalt ask before glomping.
5. Thou shalt not be offended when locals whistle at thy Felicica out-fit. Thou chose to walk down main street in it.
6. Thou shalt not wear gaiant costumes in the packed dealer's room.
7. Thou shalt not discuss personal subjects at a loud volume unless thou wantest everyone to talk about it on the Internet.
8. Thou shalt keep thy Yaoi Paddle to thyself. (Unless asked, and then thou mayest wield it freely.)
9. Thou shalt not embarrass thyself in front of the voice actors. Especially thou shalt not present them with thy saucy fanart.
10. Thou shalt have an awesome time!!

Well thats it  ;D If you see me make sure to say hi! I will be dressed as Sailor moon!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:23:49 pm by LittleKarasu »
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:44 am »
I've been going to several cons a year since the mid-1980s, so I have a wee bit of con experience  ;)

Definitely follow all the advice listed above and add one more thing: get involved with the convention - volunteers really do have more fun! If there's something that you're really interested in seeing, then volunteering to help out will earn you a much better seat or a chance to meet one of the guests. You'll also have the opportunity to get to know some of the staff, see things that most con attendees don't see, and sometimes even be given free stuff (aka "Volunteer rewards").  Every convention I've attended so far I've volunteered, been a panelist or been staff. It's a blast and there's never a shortage of stuff to do to help out.

Offline LittleKarasu

• Sailor Scout
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 03:35:56 pm »
I've been going to several cons a year since the mid-1980s, so I have a wee bit of con experience  ;)

Definitely follow all the advice listed above and add one more thing: get involved with the convention - volunteers really do have more fun! If there's something that you're really interested in seeing, then volunteering to help out will earn you a much better seat or a chance to meet one of the guests. You'll also have the opportunity to get to know some of the staff, see things that most con attendees don't see, and sometimes even be given free stuff (aka "Volunteer rewards").  Every convention I've attended so far I've volunteered, been a panelist or been staff. It's a blast and there's never a shortage of stuff to do to help out.

I would LOVE to volunteer! But Im too shy :(  And I don't know how a con works. I might try next year to Volunteer,  that is if I could make a friend at the con that would do it too, then I wouldn't feel so outnumbered lol.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 12:04:22 pm »
I would LOVE to volunteer! But Im too shy :(  And I don't know how a con works. I might try next year to Volunteer,  that is if I could make a friend at the con that would do it too, then I wouldn't feel so outnumbered lol.

It's acutally quite easy: just tell the Volunteer coordinator that you'd like to volunteer and she'll help you figure out what you can do. You don't have to know how a convention works - you'll learn on the job as a volunteer. AND you'll meet bunches of other people (including all those other wonderful volunteers). Ya just have to go for it.  :D

Offline Charlatan

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:25 pm »
Wow! Thanks for the warm (if traditionally Portland-ly wet) welcome, everyone! ;D

I'm trying to find a schedule for the con days themselves (that is, which events occur at which time). Is this only available on the days of the con, or is it on the website and I'm just blind as a ? I'm trying to plan everything ahead of the con but I figure that's A) undoable, and B) no fun at all. :P

I'm getting the feeling that preparing for/going to cons is more an art than a science. I shouldn't worry too hard about being crazy prepared to go, ne?

P.S.: If anyone wants to swamp me at the con, PM me and I'll give you my cell number. Ring me up and we'll see if we can go rampaging together!
This space for rent.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 02:11:14 pm »
 well I  mean you don't have to be rediculously prepared. I plan on going to the forum meet up panel and both the dances. and the dance lessons. thats about it. the rest is kinda in the moment kind of thing.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:17:43 pm »
M friend wants to be spontaneous at the con, and I thought I did too but when I started looking at everthing I wanted to do... I made my complete schedule last night, it's pretty ridiculous x3

Saturday
-Anime Dating Game 10:30am
-L vs. Kira Debate 1-3pm
-Death Note Photoshoot 3pm
-Forum Meet up 4:30-5:30
-The Slants Concert 9-11pm
-Dance 11pm-1am

Sunday
-Ouran Tea Party 9-9:30am
-Kirk Thornton Q&A 10-11am
-Richard Epcar Q&A 11:30am-12:30pm
-Richard Epcar Autographs 1-2:30 pm
-Kirk Thornton Autographs 3-4pm
-Ballroom Dancing Lessons 5-6:30pm
-Pirates Vs Ninjas 8-9pm
-Yaoi/Yuri party 9-10pm
-Masquerade Ball 10pm-12am
-Dance 12-1am

Monday
-TMoHS photoshoot
-Cosplay Chess?

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:11 pm »
1. Thou shalt observe excellent hygiene even if thou normally dost not.
(my sparkles will outshine the sun)
2. Thou shalt keep it the hell down in the hotel hallway. Everyone else wants to sleep, and some are more than willing to beat thou up.
(Be all the ninja you can be)
3. Thou shalt not fight over the last Kyo purse.
(there's always the KHII purse down the way)
4. Thou shalt ask before glomping.
(whether gentle or seeker missile)
5. Thou shalt not be offended when locals whistle at thy Felicica out-fit. Thou chose to walk down main street in it.
(unable to comment, I'm not that smokin')
6. Thou shalt not wear gaiant costumes in the packed dealer's room.
(leave your gundams in the parking lot)
7. Thou shalt not discuss personal subjects at a loud volume unless thou wantest everyone to talk about it on the Internet.
(Where's the bathroom!!?)
8. Thou shalt keep thy Yaoi Paddle to thyself. (Unless asked, and then thou mayest wield it freely.)
(even if it has their name on it)
9. Thou shalt not embarrass thyself in front of the voice actors. Especially thou shalt not present them with thy saucy fanart.
(Save them for elvis to see)
10. Thou shalt have an awesome time!!
(Those who fail will be haunted for the next year...then for all eternity)
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi