Author Topic: Where to buy good weapons? :O  (Read 2195 times)

Offline lit by twilight

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
Where to buy good weapons? :O
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »
I'm hoping this hasn't been asked like, sixty thousand times but I'm curious: I'm doing a cosplay that needs a weapon (like 99.8% of cosplays is my guess), and I'm not sure where I should go to find a good, sturdy, plastic weapon that can't do any real damage to someone. I've been thinking about a gun (cosplaying a Silent Hill character), OR a crowbar.

Now, where on earth am I going to find myself a convenient li'l plastic crowbar? Or other nonsense of that nature. Does anyone have any suggestions/websites/stores in the area/etc?

Responses will be quite greatly appreciated!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Where to buy good weapons? :O
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:20:41 am »
Well, it seems like it would be easy to find, but all I have come across is this site. It is a rubber crowbar, but the price seems pretty steep for such a simple prop.

I'd say you could probably make a crowbar out of sculpting foam with not too much trouble. IT'd probably be the cheaper route, but ultimately it's your choice.

As for guns....that's a trickier situation. According to the current policy:

No guns. No Airsoft. Period. No matter how disabled or how much of the tip you paint orange they are always going to be too close to the real thing.

So, you'd probably just have to come up with some other weapon to carry since it looks like guns are just not allowed anymore.

Anyway, best of luck, hope you get everything sorted! ^_^
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:33:57 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:51:24 am »
Now that is one cool site Eve. I am going to bookmark that one.

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:06:04 am »
Well, it seems like it would be easy to find, but all I have come across is this site. It is a rubber crowbar, but the price seems pretty steep for such a simple prop.

I'd say you could probably make a crowbar out of sculpting foam with not too much trouble. IT'd probably be the cheaper route, but ultimately it's your choice.

As for guns....that's a trickier situation. According to the current policy:

No guns. No Airsoft. Period. No matter how disabled or how much of the tip you paint orange they are always going to be too close to the real thing.

So, you'd probably just have to come up with some other weapon to carry since it looks like guns are just not allowed anymore.

Anyway, best of luck, hope you get everything sorted! ^_^

just out of curiosity, are you allowed to have totally ridiculous "guns"? like barrets hand, or that giant thing that the little police girl vampire carries around in hellsing? cause it would seem obvious that those werent real,  but i think they fall under the ruling of "no guns. period."

and to address the actual subject of this thread,  i think it would be fairly easy to cut a simple crowbar out of some insulation foam and jsut paint it.  it woulnt be the studiest thing in the world but it would look allright, and be cheap as all get out.  that hard insulation is like 8 bucks for a piece 6-7 feet tall.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:15:30 am »
Well, I can only assume cartoonish, non-realistic guns are allowed, because I have had Barret's last year and nobody said anything. And I've mentioned multiple times that I am making a large cannon for this year and the only thing anyone has said was concerning the size, not the fact that it is a gun. So, I assume ridiculous guns, non-realistic guns are okay.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline lit by twilight

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 05:19:53 pm »
Yeah, I was worried about the guns looking too real business -- so I'll stick with the crowbar. Thank you for the website! And everyone else for their ideas too. :D I shall get to work on finding my crowbar... >D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 05:25:23 pm »
i have only seen a plastic crow bar at halloween
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:02:16 pm »
Yeah, I kept thinking of seeing plastic, hollow crowbars in Halloween stores, so I was surprised when nothing of the sort came up when I was looking. Checking local Halloween stores wouldn't be a bad idea, though. There is always the Halloween Warehouse in Beaverton, they may have one.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 11:29:04 pm »
yeah theres one out in clakamas too, a party city.

im not sure how much stuff they have in the off season though.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 11:52:14 pm »
the one i saw was steel colord but it was for superman costume it had audio that played breaky nosies when you bent it
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline lit by twilight

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:35:47 am »
I was thinking about hitting up the Halloween warehouse, I just have to get up and drive over there. XD I've been meaning to check them out for a while now. Who knows, I might get lucky. :3