Author Topic: Parking and Transit questions  (Read 4516 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Parking and Transit questions
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:08:05 pm »
Feel free to refer me to other threads as appropriate.....
I still am not sure if I'm staying in the con hotel, a nearby hotel, a cheap motel that will take a cat, or a campground, because I still don't know if my boyfriend and his cat are coming with me or not.
For the same reason, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be coming Friday to help set up, or early Saturday morning.

If I come on Friday:
What is the parking and unloading situation for Friday? Where do we pull in? Can we park in the hotel for free? If not, how much does it cost? Is there free/low-cost parking nearby? Is there street parking nearby? Is parking at the Lloyd Center mall an option, and if so, how much does it cost, and what hours is it available, on what days?

Is there the possibility of onstreet parking on Sun & Mon? Where?

Is parking included free if staying at the hotel? If not, is it less than if not staying at the hotel?

Is the public transit around the hotel 24 hours? Is it considered safe? Is a bus or a commuter train a better option?

One of the cheap motels that takes cats is near PSU, so is the hotel in the "Fareless Square"? Or what are rates for on bus/train? Is it possible to take a cat on bus/train?

Thanks and sorry if these are redundant....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
Re: Parking and Transit questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:49:25 pm »
Its unfortunate that most parking near the hotel actually costs something. Parking in the hotel is like $18... I don't know if its per day or all weekend. Lloyd Center parking overnight is a no no. Security guards don't like that, and its not safe. Generally, street parking near the hotel isn't a good idea. There is the max line that runs directly accross the street from the hotel.  That line runs from Gresham all the way to Hillsboro.
If I'm not mistaken, there is no bus line near the hotel, just the max (but then again, I may be wrong). The hotel is on the east side of the river, so it is nowhere near Fairless Square. The transit stops somewhere around midnight, and as inconvenient as it is, its safer for the community.
www.trimet.org will have all your answers in terms of fares, times and maps of locations.

Sorry I can't tell you much more than that, I'm going off of what I've experienced in the several times that I have been in that area. If anyone knows anymore, please feel free to elaborate.
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:52:12 pm »
Its unfortunate that most parking near the hotel actually costs something. Parking in the hotel is like $18... I don't know if its per day or all weekend. Lloyd Center parking overnight is a no no. Security guards don't like that, and its not safe. Generally, street parking near the hotel isn't a good idea. There is the max line that runs directly accross the street from the hotel.  That line runs from Gresham all the way to Hillsboro.
If I'm not mistaken, there is no bus line near the hotel, just the max (but then again, I may be wrong). The hotel is on the east side of the river, so it is nowhere near Fairless Square. The transit stops somewhere around midnight, and as inconvenient as it is, its safer for the community.
www.trimet.org will have all your answers in terms of fares, times and maps of locations.

Sorry I can't tell you much more than that, I'm going off of what I've experienced in the several times that I have been in that area. If anyone knows anymore, please feel free to elaborate.

I really appreciate the details.
Does the Max go near PSU?
Is the parking only for those who pay for hotel rooms?
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
The hotel is on the east side of the river, so it is nowhere near Fairless Square.

Actually, the hotel is in Fareless Square.  It's the last stop heading east.
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:00:49 pm »

Okay so that's good news....hypothetically, if my boyfriend and I stay at the cheap cat-friendly motel by PSU, if there is any Max stop I could walk and/or bus to near PSU, I could Max to the con for free Sat & Sun, and just use the car for unloading and loading on Fri and Mon? (If there's parking by this motel.....)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:20:12 pm »

Okay so that's good news....hypothetically, if my boyfriend and I stay at the cheap cat-friendly motel by PSU, if there is any Max stop I could walk and/or bus to near PSU, I could Max to the con for free Sat & Sun, and just use the car for unloading and loading on Fri and Mon? (If there's parking by this motel.....)

There isn't a Max stop terribly close to PSU, only trolley.  Max is about a 15 to 20 minute walk.
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »
I'm confused. Trolley??

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:29:08 pm »
The Max train is LITERALLY outside of the dealers room! Ride the train, everyone!  It'll be fun!

To check out the Max and streetcar routes, check out trimet.org
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:40:44 pm »
Trolley is the Streetcar, it does through downtown a different way than the MAX.

http://www.trimet.org/fares/farelessmap.htm
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:51:06 pm »
Trolley is the Streetcar, it does through downtown a different way than the MAX.

http://www.trimet.org/fares/farelessmap.htm

Awesome thanks.

Offline shademalek

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 09:52:39 am »
Yeah, check out the transit maps and trip planner at tri-met.org. Our public transportation is the best and really easy to get around by if you check the website for scedules and routes. For parking, a downtown garage may be a good bet if you are staying near PSU. From PSU, take the streetcar to the max and them max over to Lloyd district. It's really easy and free thanks to fareless square.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 10:00:01 am »
Everyone's help is most appreciated :)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 12:13:25 am »
so is there absolutely no way to park? Everyone has to ride transit?
Or is it just really expensive?
It would be nice to have a car nearby, to jet back to my place and change without it taking an hour.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 01:18:46 am »
If anyone has TriMet questions, I can answer a great deal of them, because I will be the first to admit that TriMet's website is notoriously difficult to navigate for the first time.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 01:34:50 am »
It would be nice to have a car nearby, to jet back to my place and change without it taking an hour.

Parking is only $5 a day with in and out privileges! That's the best deal around!
For the Doubletree? For guests also?
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:50 am »

Parking is only $5 a day with in and out privileges! That's the best deal around!
For the Doubletree? For guests also?
You have to be staying at the Double Tree to get that rate.
and if you're not? :'(
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."