Author Topic: Need minor wig help :3  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Need minor wig help :3
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:08:41 am »
Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the stupid sideburns of Ranma's to lay flat? I tried gel and it ruined it, not covering my own sideburns and just getting crunchy and bad, I had to cut them off and make them part of bangs and take some more hair from the back to redo them.

Sorry for the blurriness my camera sucks

Puffed up:

Forced Down:

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
Re: Need minor wig help :3
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:41:07 am »
You could come a little gel into it, and then hold it down until its dry, using a the lowest setting on the hairdryer.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:53:51 am »
Hair spray works way better than gel on wigs.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:57:19 am »
First of all, you should never use gel on wigs. The oils in your hair help the gel take effect and get the look you want, while wigs don't have that oil, as they're fake. Hairspray is much better, and won't ruin your wig.

Take the lock of hair you want to stay flat, and spray it with hairspray. Continue holding it while you hairspray it a good amount.
Next, continue holding the strand of hair, and take a hairdryer to it. WARNING: Be sure before you start that your hairdryer has a cool effect, or that it's on its coolest setting before using it on your wig. If it gets too hot, it'll melt the wig fibers.
After drying it with the hairdryer, you should be able to let it go and it should stay. Be sure to spray the strand of hair at its roots, too.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:46:15 pm »
Hairspray to keep it down. If you're worried about your hairline showing (I can't tell from the picture) spirit gum might help.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »
heres the thing. while what everyone has said so far is entirely true, there is also another factor. 

it LOOKS like you chopped off the hair for the "sideburns" of strait accross.  which is fine to start out with, getting the bulk of the hair you dont want out of the way.

however,

most of the time you dont want to leave it like that, it is technically possibly to get it flat with hairspray, but what you need to do is texture the ends.

when you go to the salon your hairdresser probably ends the whole thing with alot of tiny snips with the scissors parallel to the direction of the hairs to thin them out, and make a more...not feathered (thought that is how you might feather hair) but like a gradual line.  you need a verry sharp and thin pair of scissors to do this right. .

does that make any sense? its one of those things that would be really easy to show, but its not so easy to describe.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:32:56 pm »
heres the thing. while what everyone has said so far is entirely true, there is also another factor. 

it LOOKS like you chopped off the hair for the "sideburns" of strait accross.  which is fine to start out with, getting the bulk of the hair you dont want out of the way.

however,

most of the time you dont want to leave it like that, it is technically possibly to get it flat with hairspray, but what you need to do is texture the ends.

when you go to the salon your hairdresser probably ends the whole thing with alot of tiny snips with the scissors parallel to the direction of the hairs to thin them out, and make a more...not feathered (thought that is how you might feather hair) but like a gradual line.  you need a verry sharp and thin pair of scissors to do this right. .

does that make any sense? its one of those things that would be really easy to show, but its not so easy to describe.

I think what you mean by that is cutting verticle, not horizontal to get a thinner finish on the ends, right? If that's the case, then yes, you would need a thin pair of scissors. Although, I'm sure you could probably do it with a regular pair if you knew what you were doing.
I'm not sure if I could explain it any better then you. ~ ~
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 04:50:42 pm »
I know what you are talking about. I did that to my wig after I trimmed the bangs but it didn't really matter because I was making them into spikes anyway.

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »
I know what you are talking about. I did that to my wig after I trimmed the bangs but it didn't really matter because I was making them into spikes anyway.

acutally in some ways it matters more when youre doing spikes. depending on how big they are, ie how much hair is in each spike. like if you were making (just as an example) a cloud wig. if you didnt texture the ends it would be like have giant unsharpened pencils sticking out all over your head. tapering/texturing/thinning the ends is kinda like sharpening the pencil.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »
Ahaha, boy do I know that. I'm currently styling a Cloud wig, and definitely thinning out the ends for a spike is a very important thing to do. It helps shape them and they stand up easier.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 06:32:16 pm »
Speaking of spikes, for my Roxas wig do I have to worry about wind blowing the spikes out of place really? It got slightly mashed around from the shipping method, but mostly retained its shape. I don't think I have any kind of hair glue or spray I could use. But I think I might have elmar's glue ^^; Somewhere. Not like I know how to style a wig though, nor do I have the tools.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:10 pm »
It depends on what they used, I suppose. I've never had to worry about my wigs losing their shape outside when the wind blew, but then again, I styled my wigs. ~ ~ I'm sure it will be alright, but just in case, you could put a coat or two of hairspray over the entire thing for extra reassurance.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:20:19 pm »

however,

Woah lots of replies
Yeah I know what you mean but I dont think I could do it
I will ask my sister friend who is going with us and a hair dresser if she could help out, and try hairspray

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012