Author Topic: Tanis' General Report  (Read 2819 times)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
Tanis' General Report
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:19:44 pm »
Alrighty, it's that time again. This Kumoricon was very different right from the start for me, as I've spent nearly the entire duration of the con, and then some, helping to make it go. Therefore, a blow-by-blow account would be quite inconvenient for you, as it would end up reading like a security log, and not much fun for me to tap out. So here's an Account of Things Pertaining to a General Serious or Humorous Interest.
  • Maid Squad. I could not fit into the maid outfit that was provided me, so I just did maid squad duties and flattened lines and passed out forms and such like that. "Please have your registration forms and ID ready, and please take pains to make sure that your ID is not covered in spaghetti sauce or marinara!"
  • Maid Squad. Second day of the con, wore an adorable yukata with matching geta around to do maid squad stuff, more line smashing. I did concentrate moar on being cute than being loud this time, so that was alright. Annoying catch was how the geta were an inch and a half too short, and were killing my feet in so many interesting ways. Took off the whole outfit shortly before noon, no sense in wearing a yukata with skate shoes, right?
  • Cosplay. Only four people in the entire convention recognized any of my cosplays: three got Ayase Yukiya on the first couple days of the con, and one got Piro on the last day of the con. Technically, this person recognized Piro during the Dead Dog party, which is more of an afters event anyway, but still, close enough.
  • Minion Affairs. Ops 2 had me doing a couple of instance runs, so to speak. They needed fifty bucks worth of donuts, and also a Safeway run the next day for Brownie's birthday. I assembled a couple parties of five each who could help me bring back donuts, just got willing and awesome congoers together. After I did both runs, I treated anyone who helped me to pizza on my dime; the only condition to free food was that they help me out with tear-down.

What this pizza got me was a band of unwavering minions to help me carry out my bidding. There were a couple of incidents between them and Yojimbo, but by and far, the help really outweighed the trouble. Special shoutouts to Hailey, Bella, Megan, Alyssa, Nick, and Isaiah. You guys were awesome.

Vallie was impressed by my ability to rally help so quickly that I've been offered the position of Volunteer Coordinator for Kumoricon 2009, and because I really wanted to get into the Dead Dog Staff Party at the end of Monday, so I accepted. I'm the new Volunteer Coordinator for 2009! Yay!
  • Panels. I ran the How To Play Go panel. The first run on Saturday brought in about 25, maybe 30 people. It was well-run, for the most part, but definitely not smooth. The second day's panel brought in about 90, maybe 115 people. Standing room only. It was epic. And then during the Dead Dog, I heard there were quite a few staff who wanted to attend who couldn't, so I held the third version of it right then and there. Why not, right?
In closing, I'd like to give thanks to Mike, Dawn, Jaki, Meg, Vallie, all my minions, all the awesome Yojimbo, Kylite, Shelton, and anyone else who complains in the comments about me forgetting them! This was the best con ever, and I'll put forth my full efforts in the coming year!

See you at MEW!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:20:04 pm by TanisNikana »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Tanis' General Report
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:39:47 pm »
Congratulations on your new position! Wish I'd stayed for Dead Dog....ironically I didn't because I was too tired!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »
Thanks! I've decided now that Kumo is for work, and MEW is for enjoyment. ^_^

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:12:36 pm »
Glad you had fun working! ...at least that's what I think I got out of this post. XD

AND I FEEL NO LOVE.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:54 pm »
I wasn't aware of the Dead Dog party until I'd already gotten all my stuff packed up and secured homeward transportation.  I have complained about this issue of NOBODY TELLING ME THAT I CAN HAVE FUN KTHX in length on the staff boards.

I'm serious; I broke down and cried when I found out (this morning) that my room was about 30 feet from the con suite; I wasn't even sure it existed this year.  I'm not exaggerating on that; I was able to handle a lot of rough crap during the con with a smile on my face and really enjoy myself, but the fact that the door that I knocked on Saturday night to tell them they were being too loud (nobody answered; they were probably being too loud to hear me) was actually the con suite is such a devastatingly powerful irony that I quite literally cried.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »
Oh no! I didn't know! I heard knocking but I ignored it... I'm very sorry...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:07:22 pm »
It's fine; I was too tired to sleep anyway.  I did pass out around 5am near the bag check the following night because I didn't want to deal with my roommates, so I at least got a little sleep during the con, if nothing else :P (one of the hotel staff actually wound up waking me up and telling me I couldn't sleep there, but he was incredibly polite and understanding about it. :D

Offline Ryu-chan

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:08:51 pm »
i saw you in the ayase outfit, but you seemed really pissed at the time so i didnt wanna bother you =X

Offline gia

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Vice
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:25:29 pm »
Oh, I think we could find a maid outfit that'll fit you next year...  :-*
Editor-in-Chief, Anime Vice
http://animevice.com

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 01:48:01 pm »
i saw you in the ayase outfit, but you seemed really pissed at the time so i didnt wanna bother you =X
There was really only one time I was properly pissed at con, and that was when my hotelmates wouldn't shut up when I was trying to get some sleep (which never actually came, thanks to the fine people at Bawls). Most of the time, I was so busy I didn't really have time to notice what emotion was dancing all over my face. ^_^

But thanks for noticing!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
Thanks! I've decided now that Kumo is for work, and MEW is for enjoyment. ^_^

Yay! I'm so proud of you for taking time for yourself! Really!
I've been doing this for 6 years, and other than one half-day mini-con at a high school, that I attended to plug Creation Station, about 3 years ago, (at which, btw, I got 2nd place for cosplay--I think I was Integra that year)--I have never gone to a con other than to be staff in fanfic. The Religion in Anime and Manga panel is kind of my gift to myself, my treat of doing something else within the con....and this year I actually got to attend something just for me without having to be even a panelist: The I'd Just As Soon Kiss A Wookie Panel! Highly recommended!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 04:58:34 pm »
MEW just roped me in to work for them.

I wonder if I can rile up my minions.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 05:00:07 pm »
MEW just roped me in to work for them.

I wonder if I can rile up my minions.
Whatever ya say dawg

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:25:01 pm »
I wasn't aware of the Dead Dog party until I'd already gotten all my stuff packed up and secured homeward transportation.  I have complained about this issue of NOBODY TELLING ME THAT I CAN HAVE FUN KTHX in length on the staff boards.

I'm serious; I broke down and cried when I found out (this morning) that my room was about 30 feet from the con suite; I wasn't even sure it existed this year.  I'm not exaggerating on that; I was able to handle a lot of rough crap during the con with a smile on my face and really enjoy myself, but the fact that the door that I knocked on Saturday night to tell them they were being too loud (nobody answered; they were probably being too loud to hear me) was actually the con suite is such a devastatingly powerful irony that I quite literally cried.

Con Suite did have signs on it.  Did the room you knock on have signs on it?

When I realized on Saturday morning that staff were unaware of con suite I did a sweep through the event space, grabbing staffers and telling them to spread the word. 

We do need more organized staff orientation.  This responsibility needs to be put under Ops or Vice.  I had similar problems my first year, even missing a staff meeting I knew nothing about.  Also, we need staffers who work less hours during the con, but who have a committment to work Tuesday.  Though, we did get a great group of people who stayed all the way through unpacking the gear into the locker. 

Also, all nights except Sunday should have been quiet.  Con Suite is supposed to be a place to escape the noise and stimulation of the con. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 08:19:50 pm »
You mean Monday. Cause Monday was really really loud.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »
Didn't notice a sign (I had been up for 50 hours working literally nonstop; could have missed it if a train had come down the hallway too); I might have been knocking on the door to the suit across the hallway or something.  Should have been between 2am and 3am. :P

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 08:43:08 am »
Oh... a lot of us were asleep by then; I know I was.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 11:00:17 pm »
We worked it out; it was actually the suite on the other side of my room that was being obnoxious.