Author Topic: Matt Damon!  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Mesami

• Cabbit
Matt Damon!
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:21:57 pm »
So standing in line for hour and hours, my total time in line this weekend was probably more then the total time if the events I attended, though I had much fun, one thing confused me.

People would should different things, IE. Marco, while the rest of the line would shout Polo. Pairings were shouted and Objection was shouted, but the one that got me the most, was the shouting of Mat Damon.  Also in Artist's Alley  I saw a Sign that read "In Mat Damon we trust"

Can anyone explain this one to me?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:45:46 pm by Mesami »
List of next years Possible Cosplays:

Witch Hunter Robin
Alice from Alice in Wonderland
Draco Malfoy
Cardcaptor Sakura

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Mat Damon!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:32 pm »
No idea, but it's kind of funny, for his name to be substituted for G-d's, given that my favorite role of his was as Loki, which ironically enough is the name of a trickster god in the Norse pantheon, but was the name of a fallen angel in Dogma, one of my very favorite movies of ALL time.

Meantime my boyfriend found some really funny videos on youtube--Jimmy Kimmel live--Sarah Silverman singing (with Matt Damon) that she was having an affair with Matt Damon, to which Jimmy shot a reply video, singing (with Ben Affleck), that he was having an affair with Ben Affleck.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »
Reference! the movie Team America: World Police had a part that featured Matt Damon...and all he said was his own name in that sort of...retarded tone of voice, "MATT DAMON!"

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:24 pm »
Yeah, well, in the artist alley whenever I was in there and they yelled that and a few people yelled 'Sean Connery' in reply, I would usually yell 'SEAN CONNERY' as loud as I could in a pretty good impression of the actor.

But heck, it made no sense to me. i just figured it was an argument over who was the better actor.

Offline Mesami

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:55 pm »
Lol I see xD vague references ftw Thanks guys.

Witch Hunter Robin
Draco Malfoy
Cardcaptor Sakura

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:12:21 pm »
OK, History lesson!

It was the summer of 2005 when Team America World Police came out.
That was the summer that Kumoricon was first at the Doubletree hotel.
There was a booth in Artist's Alley that really liked Matt Damon, they had a print out of his face hanging in their booth and when asked about it they'd yell the quote (and sometimes kiss it).
It became a tradition among the AA booths and staff to yell "Matt Damon" every now and then, since it was an inside joke for them by the end of the first day in '05.
This year it was a much bigger deal since it was the convention's triumphant return to the Doubletree hotel.

Now the neat thing is that when making Team America: World Police, Trey Parker and Matt Stone had planned on having Matt Damon be sort of a nerdy character, a real smart guy. However, when they got a look at the puppet head they both thought he looked like a retarded person. So they re-wrote the script so that ALL the Matt Damon character says is his own name.
And THAT is why they yell the name.

Here's me and one of the people at the founding booth.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Mesami

• Cabbit
Re: Matt Damon!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:45:30 pm »
W00t okay. xD This was my first con, so I'm trying to catch up with everything that I've been missing. Thanks much for the history lesson. *Bows*

Witch Hunter Robin
Draco Malfoy
Cardcaptor Sakura

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:59:41 pm »
omgahh that's hilarious!! yeah all I knew was that it was from team america :/
thanks a bunch for the info! n__n

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 11:18:13 pm »
W00t okay. xD This was my first con, so I'm trying to catch up with everything that I've been missing. Thanks much for the history lesson. *Bows*
I know, there are too many inside jokes but I can't help but laugh every time I hear this one.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Freya

• Oni
    • honey-vanity.org
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:34:13 pm »
Holy crap! It makes sense now! <3<3 Thank you TomtheFanboy!
「 Mentos, diet coke, "reaction" - just make me happy. 」

2008 コスプレー
Matsumoto Rangiku (Bleach)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:26:44 am »
I suppose that's a reference to the Timmy character on south park who can only yell his own name?

I can see humor in that but after 10 years of supporting folks with DD in their homes I'm wary of humor that others could perceive of as based in laughing at people with DD. Though
*spoiler*

I found Tropic Thunder hilarious.

**spoiler warning**

It imho doesn't make fun of people who have DD but of the ways people react to depictions thereof by Hollywood.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:27:42 am by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).