Author Topic: Post your con reports for Kumoricon 08'.  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
Post your con reports for Kumoricon 08'.
« on: September 05, 2008, 04:56:12 pm »
I just finished an epic, 5,000+ word blog post about Kumoricon: http://teuvan.blogspot.com/2008/09/kumoricon-08.html

Post your own blog/journal posts and stories.
You've been among winebibbers and riotous eaters of flesh, haven't you?
I admit I told you to sell your body, but I did only mean your organs. - Excel

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Post your con reports for Kumoricon 08'.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:50:16 pm »
You mention that you bought a box set of Buddha.
Is that a manga? I mean is there a manga about the life of Buddha?
Or?
I ask because, I wasn't able to get my boyfriend to come to con with me, he thought there wouldn't be anything that appealed to him at the con because he's pretty focussed on studying as a Buddhist scholar, and if there are specifically Buddhist manga out there I would like to get them for him, and hopefully that would help him come to a con with me!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:56:28 pm »
My report's in the spam section. Don't need to repost, cause it merits its own topic.

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:24:17 pm »
Or?
I ask because, I wasn't able to get my boyfriend to come to con with me, he thought there wouldn't be anything that appealed to him at the con because he's pretty focussed on studying as a Buddhist scholar, and if there are specifically Buddhist manga out there I would like to get them for him, and hopefully that would help him come to a con with me!

YES!

There's a classic manga by Osamu Tezuka called Buddha. As the title might imply, it's the life story of Buddha. There's apparently a lot of factual basis in it, which is blended with the creator's fictional characters and events. I haven't started reading it yet, but it looks amazing. I know it has a big following from both Buddhists and non-Buddhists. Here's the Anime News Network page for it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=3569

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:09:31 pm »
Or?

YES!

There's a classic manga by Osamu Tezuka called Buddha. As the title might imply, it's the life story of Buddha. There's apparently a lot of factual basis in it, which is blended with the creator's fictional characters and events. I haven't started reading it yet, but it looks amazing. I know it has a big following from both Buddhists and non-Buddhists. Here's the Anime News Network page for it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=3569

Blessings! I will *definitely* check that out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:10:41 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:11:38 pm »
Here's my report: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=17550168&blogID=429866270

Full of high diction and emotion, lol, just how I like it. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:35 pm »
Here's my report: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=17550168&blogID=429866270

Full of high diction and emotion, lol, just how I like it. ^_^

Nice cosplay. I'm surprised I don't remember seeing you.

As far as con withdrawals go, I tend not to have a problem. I've been so busy uploading pictures, sending out con-related emails, writing my con report, reorganizing my manga collection, and dealing with my regular aftercon-cold (I've never left a con without one), that it still seems like I was just there.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
Yeah, keeping yourself busy is probably the best advice I've been given/could give. After getting myself caught up in things that needed done (dealing with photos, reorganizing my room around me new stuff, reading my new manga, etc.) I really didn't have to worry about feeling down. I was too busy to get depressed, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:25:11 pm »
I'm going to just pull a TL;DR and post a hella summary:

9am, friday - Wake up, shower, get the fat man off my couch, kick him out, invite friend over
10am, friday - clean clean clean
12pm, friday - start working on bases for the DDR pads w/ friend
4pm, friday - leave for con with bases
5pm, get everything in game room, begin setup
[set up, lots of work]
8am, saturday - run to RadioShack; they're closed, come back and work on setup more
9:50am, saturday - GAME ROOM IS READY FOR SEXYGOODTIME!, get DDR running smoothly
11am, saturday - run back to RadioShack, get speakers and cables
12pm, saturday - start getting people registered for DDR tournaments
1pm, saturday - realise there aren't enough people yet to start prelims
6pm, saturday - think it's 8pm, announce DDR tournaments starting
6:30pm, saturday - realise I'm dumb, wait until 7:30
7:30pm, saturday - start DDR
11pm, saturday - finish DDR, start getting the game room ready to close down
2am, sunday - get up to hotel room, leave because people are being annoying, get some money from ATM
3am, sunday - go back to hotel room, sleep
8am, sunday - wake up, try to collect money
10am, sunday - get called downstairs to help get game room running
11am, sunday - go to get pizza, return with pizza, begin 5-hour shift in bag check
4pm, sunday - get out of bag check, play some piano, play some DDR, try collecting money
7:40pm, sunday - Rock Band Pedal breaks, RUN TO ROOM LIGHTSPEED SUPAFAST
8:30pm, sunday - get Rock Band started up
9pm, sunday - BATTLE OF THE BANDS begins
12:15am, monday - finish battle of the bands, go out to lobby to announce winners
1am, monday - game room closes, being reinventory
2am, monday - finish reinventory, wander around, play piano
5am, monday - go to Taco Bell.  Closed.  Go to other Mexican restaurant.
5:40am, monday - pass out near bag check, get woken up and asked to not sleep there by hotel staff
6am, monday, go to room, start collectin' money
8am, monday - get money figured out (sort of), get called down to game room
9am, monday - open game room, powernap under table, head back to room to clean up and check out
10am, monday - get in line for checkout
11:30am, monday - finally get checked out
12pm, monday - get back to game room, begin prep for GH3 tournament
1pm, monday - begin GH3 tournament
5pm, monday - finish GH3 tournament
6pm, monday - finish breaking down game room
8pm, monday - get home
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:30:13 pm »
I just finished an epic, 5,000+ word blog post about Kumoricon: http://teuvan.blogspot.com/2008/09/kumoricon-08.html

From your blog: One of the videos in drama was a horrendously bad sort-of-fan-fiction for “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.” Apparently, when it showed during the contest, after the ending where the main character is shown “dying,” the audience went completely silent. This was broken by someone toward the back yelling “THAT SUCKED.”

Seriously?  I liked that video.  I think I voted for another video, but I didn't see the problem with it.  Speaking for myself, I was quiet when it was over because I was kind of stunned.  I liked the anime (have you seen it? just wondering) and I thought the AMV was pretty eerie, kind of like the movie.  Anyways, whoever yelled "THAT SUCKED" was pretty damn rude.  Why isn't their AMV showing?  Hmmmm...

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 07:12:01 pm »

From your blog: One of the videos in drama was a horrendously bad sort-of-fan-fiction for “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.” Apparently, when it showed during the contest, after the ending where the main character is shown “dying,” the audience went completely silent. This was broken by someone toward the back yelling “THAT SUCKED.”

Seriously?  I liked that video.  I think I voted for another video, but I didn't see the problem with it.  Speaking for myself, I was quiet when it was over because I was kind of stunned.  I liked the anime (have you seen it? just wondering) and I thought the AMV was pretty eerie, kind of like the movie.  Anyways, whoever yelled "THAT SUCKED" was pretty damn rude.  Why isn't their AMV showing?  Hmmmm...

I've not only seen it, but The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is actually my favorite anime movie. In fact, when the AMV first started playing, I was really excited because I'm such a fan.

There are several reasons why I didn't like the AMV, one being that it didn't seem like a lot of effort was put into it. It starts off with a long, unmodified clip from the anime. This is followed by a series of only somewhat modified clips, with the most recognizable modification being the addition of badly-written text in a hard-to-read font. I have no problem with AMV's that involve little-to-no technical skill, as long as they're good. The most obvious problem with this AMV was that it wasn't good. It was just a bunch of scenes strung together for the sake of delivering an uninteresting, unoriginal, angsty "plot" of some sort. It wasn't dramatic, it wasn't sad, it wasn't entertaining, and it certainly wasn't good. Its only redeeming factor was that it inspired somebody to yell "THAT SUCKED," which was hilarious enough to warrant watching the video.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:44:32 pm »
Tofu's con time wins. I wish I could have played as much DDR as you but I was in a friggin' dress the whole time D:<

Mine was short but I post it anyways so I don't feel like an ass for just posting to comment on Tofu's stuff.
http://xboogiepop-phantomx.deviantart.com/journal/20333814/#comments
It's in between Salem Trip #1 and Salem Trip #2. I need to find more things to do with my con time...like actually go to panels.

EDIT: Oh lordy, that post made me a Catgirl :D
EDITEDIT: Oh lordy double time, my group was in Teuvan's blog. I feel cool. Also nice taste in your top five animuz on the side of your blog man.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:52:31 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 09:49:11 pm »
Maybe you should STOP COSPLAYING and PLAY VIDEO GAMES like ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS. ;]
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 09:54:16 pm »
Maybe you should STOP COSPLAYING and PLAY VIDEO GAMES like ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS. ;]

BUT I WANT TO BE PRETTY AND YOU CAN'T DO THAT WHILE PLAYING DDR AND SWEATING EVERYWHERE.

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:42 pm »
Tofu's con time wins. I wish I could have played as much DDR as you but I was in a friggin' dress the whole time D:<

Mine was short but I post it anyways so I don't feel like an ass for just posting to comment on Tofu's stuff.
It's in between Salem Trip #1 and Salem Trip #2. I need to find more things to do with my con time...like actually go to panels.

EDITEDIT: Oh lordy double time, my group was in Teuvan's blog. I feel cool. Also nice taste in your top five animuz on the side of your blog man.

Oh, awesome! You were part of the Baccano group! I feel sort of bad that I only got to see you guys once, and during a moving line, at that. Still, you guys were some of the most awesome cosplayers at the convention.

Also, great choice with Robot and the Range Murata figures. I've been following Robot for...wow, it's actually been years now. There's a huge gap between releases, but it's an incredible series. I remember unsuccessfully looking for the third volume at Kumoricon 06', and we're only on volume 5 now.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 10:03:01 pm »

Oh, awesome! You were part of the Baccano group! I feel sort of bad that I only got to see you guys once, and during a moving line, at that. Still, you guys were some of the most awesome cosplayers at the convention.

Also, great choice with Robot and the Range Murata figures. I've been following Robot for...wow, it's actually been years now. There's a huge gap between releases, but it's an incredible series. I remember unsuccessfully looking for the third volume at Kumoricon 06', and we're only on volume 5 now.
Thanks. I know all three of us appreciate that a lot :D Kudos to your Kajii cosplay too by the way. I enjoy seeing obscure anime cosplays now a days seeing that the majority of it seems to be Naruto, Bleach, and Deathnote. Now you have to take a step up and make a big 'ol pointy nose for next time you wear it.

And f'ing <3 Range Murata and Yoshitoshi aBE. Whole reason I started buying Robot (I had 2 before con and figured I should get 1). I'm just having a problem with how expensive each book is, I'm probably going to end up Amazon'ing the rest as they come out. I've gotta keep getting them though because I know the artist who does the art for the Boogiepop Phantom novels and manga eventually jumps in there.

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 10:10:42 pm »

Thanks. I know all three of us appreciate that a lot :D Kudos to your Kajii cosplay too by the way. I enjoy seeing obscure anime cosplays now a days seeing that the majority of it seems to be Naruto, Bleach, and Deathnote. Now you have to take a step up and make a big 'ol pointy nose for next time you wear it.

And f'ing <3 Range Murata and Yoshitoshi aBE. Whole reason I started buying Robot (I had 2 before con and figured I should get 1). I'm just having a problem with how expensive each book is, I'm probably going to end up Amazon'ing the rest as they come out. I've gotta keep getting them though because I know the artist who does the art for the Boogiepop Phantom novels and manga eventually jumps in there.

I really appreciate being recognized, too. Overall, about seven people spotted me throughout the convention, but all of them were really enthusiastic about it. As far as the nose goes, I've actually been told my nose is pointy enough to pull it off without modification. Still...I considered making something to enhance it, but couldn't quite figure out how to go about it.

My favorite artists in Robot are Imperial Boy and Okama. I'd highly recommend getting the rest of the releases. I've always used Amazon myself, mainly because of the huge discounts.