Author Topic: General College Advice  (Read 6159 times)

oslapedo

General College Advice
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:35:31 pm »
Currently I'm a sophomore in High School but I think I may want to work to graduate after my junior-hood is complete next year. After graduating from being a junior High School I think I'd like to attend UO starting in the fall term. I want to study marine biology, and from what I've seen so far, UO has a pretty good marine bio. course.

I'm wondering if anyone here that attends UO could maybe tell me about it: how the admission process goes, nerd population, things to do and so on. In two years you all may gain a nerdly compadre at UO ;D

Topic modified. Anyone with questions about college come post your concerns and perhaps your worries will get answered : D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:34:14 am by oslapedo »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: UO: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:53:27 pm »
its simple to enroll to a collage. A lot of the applications are online and you follow the instructions and wait for a response. You could call anyone at UO and they would tell you everything you need to know.

Plus at OSU (and I'm sure it's like this at any collage) they have this thing called "start Week" where incoming freshmen stay in the dorm a week with parents and they go through everything that they will need to know to start collage. At the end of the week they will help you sign up for your classes. This is usually in the summer but call and check it out.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:57:23 am »
UO has something like nikkiolie mentioned.  It's called... get ready for the pun... IntroDUCKtion.  But that's for after you've applied and have been accepted.  Staying in the dorms during that is optional though.

Edit:
Oh right, I just remembered.
Sign up for the earliest IntroDUCKtion available.  The first introduction group signs up the earliest.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:59:10 am by Negima »

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:22 am »
My advice would be don't graduate early, if your school has a co-enrolement plan with a community college, milk it for all it is worth your senior year that you would have graduated early, that way you don't have to spend that many $1000s of dollars on tuition.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 11:06:44 am »
that is true too.....there are some high school classes that give you collage credit >_> Use those if you can.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:16:21 pm »
I don't know about UO, but UW has an absolutely amazing Oceanography/fishers/marine bio program.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:58:48 pm »
I'm in a co-enrollment program right now and it's going really well for me.  CCC and PCC are two of the best Community Colleges in the nation.  Take advantage of them.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

oslapedo

General College Advice
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:56 am »
I've mulled it over quite a bit, and I've decided to not rush things and graduate with my class. We have AP classes at my school that begin in Junior and Senior year so I'll make sure to take those :)

I don't know about UO, but UW has an absolutely amazing Oceanography/fishers/marine bio program.

Really? I've visited UW's campus and I absolutely love it there, but I didn't know they had such a strong marine bio program. I'm reconsidering it now!

Since my early graduation crisis has been solved I've modified this thread a bit. Now anyone who's confused about college should feel free to come here and seek advice ;D

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
Re: General College Advice
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 08:53:29 am »
I've mulled it over quite a bit, and I've decided to not rush things and graduate with my class. We have AP classes at my school that begin in Junior and Senior year so I'll make sure to take those :)

Really? I've visited UW's campus and I absolutely love it there, but I didn't know they had such a strong marine bio program. I'm reconsidering it now!

You should really think about it! At least come again when it gets closer to application time (in about...a year for you? When you're a Junior :3) and talk to some professors/graduate students. They alwaaaayz love when people come in interested about the programs. There are a lot of leading-the-way-in-research studies that come out from UW and the super cool boats they use are usually docked out right by the Ocean Teaching Library!
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:53:53 am »
Unless you are a washington state resident I'd not suggest going to UW or WSU because out of state tuition costs a WHOLE lot more, might as well go to private school

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:33 am »
Unless you are a washington state resident I'd not suggest going to UW or WSU because out of state tuition costs a WHOLE lot more, might as well go to private school

But they're both incredibly awesome schools.  I tried my best not to think about cost since you can get student loans.  I'm poor as hell, but I go to a private school in OR (the Art Institute) which is out of state and my student loans pay for tuition.

Don't let the price scare you away from a good education.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:56:00 am »
 Eh, I'm still in commuinty collage at the moment (almost finished though) the school is a ghetto but I like it here.

All you really need for an education is an educated instructor and I have loved every one of them.
They WANT to be here. They make a lot less and probabaly don't get a lot of reknown, but they LIKE teaching.

The people in the financial department are great too.
Since they aren't a private school, they don't get paid for their students,  so they can't do a lot but they do pay for my classes...and part of my books. ( 10 credits and it's nearly $350 for books)

I don't think I would like a private school, they have more to concern themselves with, image, sports, extra caricular ect. Here it is nothing but education, and it doesn't claim to be anything more.
And taht's really all I want.  ( that and computers which I am on now since mine is dead XD )

It's really all up to personal preference.

Eventually I'll have to transfer to a 4 year for a degree in law. I'm thinking that Seattle U may be better. I hear their law program is just as good as UW but it's MUCH closer so I wouldn't have to live in one those horrible dorms.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 12:00:18 pm »
yeah books are expensive....very very expensive. Try to find friends that have taken the class so you can get the books from them also look for friends who will be taking the class so you can sell the books to them.

Another thing I would suggest is trying to find another bookstore around where you live. I just paid $400 for all my books and at a used book store I could get them for half. (some books I need now but I am going to look at other places then take the books I have back once I find them for cheaper >_>)

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 01:06:31 pm »
yeah books are expensive....very very expensive. Try to find friends that have taken the class so you can get the books from them also look for friends who will be taking the class so you can sell the books to them.

Another thing I would suggest is trying to find another bookstore around where you live. I just paid $400 for all my books and at a used book store I could get them for half. (some books I need now but I am going to look at other places then take the books I have back once I find them for cheaper >_>)

Thank god my friend ( the Byakuya on my chess team) had the Nakama books for Japanese.

He doesn't get excited about much but when he found out how much they were charging  ( $120 for a textbook, and then $80-used for a crappy newsprint workbook I'd just throw away) he got pretty mad and even said it was 'immoral".

I am using his textbook, and for the workbook... I just need to look at the assignment and then do it on notebook paper. How f-ed is that?  I don't even NEED it.

I still don't have either book for art history. Looks like I don't need it.  Half the time, I don't and have leanred to never  buy them ahead of time.

As far as prices go, amazon is good but not relaible. I paid them $65 for my law book, which they never sent..or remberssed.

oslapedo

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 04:27:03 pm »
You should really think about it! At least come again when it gets closer to application time (in about...a year for you? When you're a Junior :3) and talk to some professors/graduate students. They alwaaaayz love when people come in interested about the programs. There are a lot of leading-the-way-in-research studies that come out from UW and the super cool boats they use are usually docked out right by the Ocean Teaching Library!

Do you go to UW? You're pretty insightful on it ;D Ocean Teaching Library? Be still my fluttering heart!

I know UW is like, over 3 times more expensive for non-residents but I'm willing to forego all of that with scholarships and student loans.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Do you go to UW? You're pretty insightful on it ;D Ocean Teaching Library? Be still my fluttering heart!

I know UW is like, over 3 times more expensive for non-residents but I'm willing to forego all of that with scholarships and student loans.

I doooo go to UW!! : D I really love it here (despite me graduating 2 quarters early XD). I tried out the oceanography program for a little, but crime was calling me and I had too many of my fingers in waaaaay too many pots to concentrate on a hard-science major! The library is fantastic! And it's right down on the water too!

oslapedo

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »
Oooh hearing that makes me so happy! I love UW, but I didn't think that it offered much in the way of aquatic sciences so I stopped considering it. It feels good to be wrong ;D

Aren't there 3 UWs? Which one do you go to?

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:11 pm »
There's UW Bothell and Tacoma. But those are small and primarily focus on business!

I go to the main *real* campus in Seattle! I really love oceanography and marine bio, but they get to be pretty SERIOUS BUSINESS in the mid two-hundred levels so I didn't have the time to continue in the program! But I've looked through the course descriptions/major requires and stuff like that and I've only heard really fabulous things about it!

oslapedo

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:30:31 pm »
YAY! I was hoping that the Seattle UW was the one we had been talking about all along because it's the one I'm in love with! Serious buisness is good. It's so fabulous to hear that the oceanic classes are rigorous.

DO WANT : D

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:39 pm »
Beware of out of state tuition

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 09:47:08 am »
Beware of out of state tuition

lulz~ I think we discussed in a completely different thread about how she gets instate for UW ^^ Which, although still expensive compared to other schools, is still pretty freaking cheap!

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 08:27:52 pm »
OMG! I just found out that UW has a muggle Quidditch team! My love for this school grows! >:3

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »
wizards across the world are face palming right now.

=P
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

oslapedo

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 08:40:46 pm »
Pfft! I think it's awesome! It makes me want to go to UW even more!  :D

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:32 pm »
just friendly teasing ^_~

sounds like you have a goal now then ^_^
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 10:33:18 pm »
Teehee, I do! I've actually been in an academic slump lately but now I feel reinvigorated to try harder!

UW is the only school for me!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 08:03:54 pm »
 Random speaking of UW; I went there to visit my friend who works there.

On the way I saw some guy light him self on fire with Kerosene. No sh*t. Look it up in the news.  The entire half of the campus smelled liek Kerosene for the next couple hours.

So I guess you can at least say that it is not boring.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 07:58:28 pm »
Also take the recommended amount of credits per term. I'm not sure if it is different with other colleges but OSU has a minimum of 12 and a max of 19 (might be 18) and they recommend 15 to graduate in 4 years. I was working out my schedule for the next term and figuring out all the classes I STILL need to take and I only have 12 more, and 4 terms to do it. Meaning that my senior year I can take the minimum all three terms and graduate at the end of the year ;D

Another thing, if you can, I would suggest taking at least one summer class, especially if you get behind (you can take it at a community college and it will cost A LOT less)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 03:39:27 pm »
I know this thread's a little old, but I have a question.

I've applied for North Seattle Community College, got accepted. I've taken the placement tests, completed my FAFSA, received a Pell Grant, etc. Now all I need to do is move up there, and apply for classes. But I can't afford to do all that. My grant is only 1500 a term, and my tuition is around 2500 - 3000$. I need to pay for books, a place to live, and all the misc. things that come with living on your own. Not completely on my own. With a roommate or two. But still.

For people that go to college, how do you afford to go? Do you take out loans? If so, which ones? Grants? Scholarships? I didn't complete High school, so anything that applies to a HS deploma or grades I can't qualify for. I do have my GED, though. Any advice would be really appreciated. My parents aren't helping me out with this at all, so I'm on my own and I have no idea what to do.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 04:26:25 pm »
I actually did CC while staying at home cause I knew working part time job it was all I could do to pay tuition.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »
My home's in Oregon, though. The closest family I have to Seattle is in Puyallup. I barely know them, though, and it's a commute from there to Seattle.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 08:00:12 pm »
I know this thread's a little old, but I have a question.

I've applied for North Seattle Community College, got accepted. I've taken the placement tests, completed my FAFSA, received a Pell Grant, etc. Now all I need to do is move up there, and apply for classes. But I can't afford to do all that. My grant is only 1500 a term, and my tuition is around 2500 - 3000$. I need to pay for books, a place to live, and all the misc. things that come with living on your own. Not completely on my own. With a roommate or two. But still.

For people that go to college, how do you afford to go? Do you take out loans? If so, which ones? Grants? Scholarships? I didn't complete High school, so anything that applies to a HS deploma or grades I can't qualify for. I do have my GED, though. Any advice would be really appreciated. My parents aren't helping me out with this at all, so I'm on my own and I have no idea what to do.

I would say look into a loan. I'll ask my parents which one they got and maybe they can tell me a few ones that are good ^_^

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 08:41:54 pm »
That'd be nice. I know that the tribe I'm a part of is supposed to help me out with College but so far they haven't been helping me at all.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 08:44:56 pm »
well that's too bad. You know that if you were to go to college here you wouldn't have to pay as much right?

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 01:11:21 am »
Yeah I know that. Out of state is a lot more pricey then in state. But I really enjoy Seattle, and I definitely want to get an education and a career there. Oregon cops aren't treated as well as Washington cops are.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay