Author Topic: Photo/Posing Discussion?  (Read 14014 times)

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
Photo/Posing Discussion?
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:33:10 pm »
This might die or get pretty off topic, but I at least want a few responses. 8D;;

When you do a serious cosplay, do you plan poses ahead of time, or play it by ear, or just stand and smile at the camera?

Last year (..08...) the two costumes I wore that people wanted pictures of I had a friend with me being my boyfriend/husband, and we just kinda huddled together with some kind of cuddly thing, or made up some type of coupley pose without thinking about it too much.  We (Well, I noticed at least) found ourselves making the same poses over and over, then after five or so pictures, we'd change it, then go back to the original.  I know I thought about talking with him about doing different poses, but never really brought it up seriously.  I kind of wish I had. 

The third outfit I had no one recognized because people completely skip over Tales of Legendia for some reason. 

Previous years, I just kind of stood and smiled.  In 07 I posed with my Death Note a bit, but that was basically all I did.  In 06 I was San (mononoke) and it was my first con... I wasn't entirely sure how to pose. 

SO YEAH, TELL ME 'BOUT YOUR POSING. 

If you're not sure what to say but want to contribute, here are some ideas:
-Does the personality of the character impact your poses?
-Does being in a group/couple impact posing?
-Is standing and smiling acceptable?
-Does your enegy level have an impact?
-Regardless of the character, does the outfit itself change how you pose? (i.e. bright colors make you pose "bigger," dark colors make you more drawn in, etc...)

Thanks 8D;;
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
Re: Photo/Posing Discussion?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:51:37 pm »
Poses are very important for photos! It's good to have a few planned ahead of time.
When you cosplay, you are that character, so the character's personality is important for the pose. Is the pose something they would do? Is your character a tough, strong person? Generally cheerful? Or maybe shy? Use facial expressions and other body language to reflect that. When you're with another person or multiple others, how would your character react to them? Being in a group or couple should impact posing because then there should be some interaction between those in the picture. Er. That's all I have for now.  ;D
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:23:11 am »
I think that a lot of people appreciate it if you're in character when you pose for a picture.  At least, that's what I tried to do.

Fortunately/unfortunately, Gaara only really has one pose.  (Standing there scowling with his arms crossed.)  That's what I did most of the time, but sometimes I crouched down.  Temari (Nikki) had several poses with her fan, and Kankuro (my sister) would make jutsu hand poses most of the time.

A couple times we did really wacky random things, but we kept those to a minimum.  For me, I tried to be as straight-faced as possible as much as I could.

Heh, it reminds me; the first guy to take a picture of us asked us to pose, then said, "Okay, everyone smile!"  When I scowled in-character, he laughed and said, "Or not."  Another guy did nearly the same thing, only saying, "Everyone smile!  ...except Gaara."  :D
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline kurakoneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:29:27 am »
I can generally fall into character really quickly,so I don't spend much time planning ahead.But I guess to some degree it is important to be able to play the role of the character well.

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:20:44 am »
Posing helps so much!

when I first started cosplaying, one of my acquaintances who was very much my cosplaying senpai recommended thinking of at least one pose beforehand so you have something you go into immediately when someone asks for a picture.

This year when I did Lina Inverse I had a lot of people stop when someone else had stop me and take pictures, and it seemed like a great deal of it was because I was really posing. I had a couple people ask if I could do the pose I'd just done specifically, not just 'can I get a picture.'

it also helps to practices faces in a mirror, I tend to blush and giggle the first hour or so I'm in cosplay and nothing ruins a picture faster than 'this is my trying to calm down and instead just looking kinda nervous face.' Oooh, I got some fine examples of that at PAX this year. ~_~;;;;;;
~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:58:53 am »
I have a few poses planed.....but that was not enough. I need to make sure that when I go as Kimimaro and Secret cosplay (which I will reveal at Kcon lite ^_^) I will have lots of poses ready because I know one will get stopped a lot.....maybe Kimimaro too ;D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:56:13 pm »
if i have a prop i will show it off, also it depends if some one wants to take a picture of me or with me, of me i tend to just do the mario smile and flash a peace sign
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 03:45:12 pm »
if i have a prop i will show it off, also it depends if some one wants to take a picture of me or with me, of me i tend to just do the mario smile and flash a peace sign

Hey, that's what I do!  :D

I try to pose in character or at least mug for the camera. I'm a total ham though so it usually comes naturally.

Some of my dumb costumes don't really have a pose, like Seshomario. Those turned into really lame pictures though, and it made me feel bad because now the person has a picture of my lame costume and I didn't even have the decency to give him a good picture.

If I'm taking a picture I will usually ask for specific pose if the cosplayer has room and doesn't look too embarrassed. Like when I had Captain Falcon punch Nes or Doctor Who pulling the giant BAWLS from inside his coat.

Posing turns a great costume into a great cosplay;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:40:22 pm »
poses are definitely important. :3 I always try to plan ahead so I know what I might be doing for camera's. unless you have a calm character then something simple with suffice.

I tend to try to create poses that go with the characters personality and what they are. like if their a pirate, some sort of stance that says 'argh be ready to be boarded.' or something lol. smiling is always acceptable unless your character is calm or stern. and if your in a cosplay group you shoudl always know how to stand around your other members. if it's your characters enemy, your love interest, or your best friend show it! :3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 07:19:57 pm »
This was actually something I had some trouble with.  The FMP character I portrayed is wearing a military uniform.  For him a pose is standing at attention.  :)  I felt it was better to look like I was caught just moving around than standing at attention.  I made an effort to not look at the camera.  (also cut down on red eye) and to have the patch on my uniform show.  I also would remove con badges, etc. if asked.

I suppose the only thing with poses is, if you are doing a well known pose, eg: Sailor Moon, then make sure you do it right.
Try to be in character.  But most important, HAVE FUN

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:54:47 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:50:04 am »
My biggest problem with posing and pictures is that I get hella embarrassed when anyone wants to take one of me and even though I act  normal and pose well my face gets super, super red. I try to think about other things but only about one out of every ten pictures I take turns out well.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:52:44 am »
The hardest thing for me was knowing how I looked in my mind. I took a lot of pictures that gave me multiple chins and now I am very conscious about what my neck looks like. I always make sure that my neck is stretched out. Also if I have a noticeable characteristic that I think I did well then I show it off. Like with Temari I loved the way my hair looked so I often took pictures from the side or at a slight angle. I also tried to have my fan out most of the time.

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 03:28:04 pm »
I also would remove con badges, etc. if asked.

That's one thing that really bothered me every time I forgot about it; leaving my con badge on.  It kinda ruins a picture for me when there's a badge, or even part of the lanyard showing.  Maybe it's just me...

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 04:13:19 pm »
Badges don't really bother me that much. Sometimes you don't have time to take it off and put it back on. My first real cosplay was Zabuza and there was a Haku I was hanging out with and everone wanted us to be on the floor in the dead/dying pose. So I spent a lot of time getting on the floor and lying there, then getting back up to do it all over again a few mins later ;)
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »
The hardest thing for me was knowing how I looked in my mind. I took a lot of pictures that gave me multiple chins and now I am very conscious about what my neck looks like. I always make sure that my neck is stretched out. Also if I have a noticeable characteristic that I think I did well then I show it off. Like with Temari I loved the way my hair looked so I often took pictures from the side or at a slight angle. I also tried to have my fan out most of the time.
I know how you feel about that. I tried to make myself as slim looking as possible or not do a bad expression. things I noticed I did was not have enough emotion in my face. :/
da/tumblr

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:52 pm »
I'm doing a lot of research for my upcoming cosplays on poses and characteristics.
Each one of my cosplays is going to be paired with one or two other people, so we're going to have a few photoshoots pre-con to go over posing and what looks best =]
I like having groups of cosplayers from the same thing, it just seems to get people's attention better.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 07:51:07 pm »
I like having groups of cosplayers from the same thing, it just seems to get people's attention better.
yeah because then they wonder 'what the hell is going on?'ha ha ^_^ personally though if you have no idea how to pose it's always nice to have someone to give you a quick little thing to do so you don't look stumped.
da/tumblr

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 07:57:47 pm »
yeah, if I can't think of anything I just ask if there's a pose in particular that they want.
And I'm gonna try to mix up the poses a bit, maybe go in a pattern?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »
I need to try to remember to hide my badge and get lots of poses together. I have lot of time to figure them out....though I need to get a few ready for K con lite. I'll figure some out >_>

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 08:01:49 pm »
hmm never heard that technique used before. something that I always find that helps me pose is to find someone else at the con to pose with even if they aren't from the same series or just do some poses as a joke. It gets you pictures and their always so great to look at. for example the BAWLs pictures. heh
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 08:03:50 pm »
yeah those are always fun. I usually, as a photographer, don't have any poses in mind for other people so I wouldn't be a good one to ask. If I do have one in mind I will ask for it ^_^

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »
hehe. random pictures turn out pretty epic sometimes, I have this one pic of kakashi showing Pikachu his Makeout Paradise book! they were'nt posing or anything, my friend just took a picture of them!

perhaps I'll save the goofy posing for the end of the day, after I've been exhausted over doing the same poses and am hyped up on energy drink. lol.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 08:09:05 pm »
yeah same....also as time passes I tend to think of other poses that I can do at the end of the day.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:52 pm »
you know the place that I tend to come up with poses for myself and for others is usually in the shower. XD it's just a great place to think, but enough about that. my friends usually tend to ask me to pose them like their a doll which I think is funny.

one of my friends I know is going to need some help considering she was just planning on doing peace signs for each pic. it's ever popular and well known but I think it would get boring and tiring quickly.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 08:19:09 pm »
yeah even with having about six poses planed out you run through them very very quickly and then you want something new.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 08:27:46 pm »
true. I'm trying to come up with a couple, then the rest I'll just be spontaneous on them I guess. what ever works the best and fastest.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:19 pm »
I'll figure some out....plus for k con lite a lot of them are going to be fan pictures ;D

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 09:28:09 pm »
I think the best pose I saw at the con was Hikaru, from Angelic Layer, curled up on the couch, in the Lobby, in the fetal position, sound asleep.  Kawaii!  Unfortunately, I couldn't ask her if it was OK to take a picture or not. Was asked not to, because I didn't have her permission.  Maybe you should all think about posing asleep?  Also got a kick out of the Macys pics of the Sand Village ninja posing with the manequins.  Those were just priceless.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:03 pm »
I liked those too....but every time we tried to get a group photo one of us was turned around x.x So we took individual ones XD

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 09:35:18 pm »
haha. I love sleeping positions, and using things around you to pose with.
I'll probably do at least one picture of each of my cosplays asleep XD

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 09:43:44 pm »
I know what you mean. sleep positions are always good but I wouldn't say so for at a con but posing with objects around you always works. especially when your out of ideas and creativity gets a moment to shine. it helps with posing and with coming up with new ones. :3
da/tumblr

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 09:52:08 pm »
random pictures are great xD I got a few fun random ones.... my favorite wasnt that random and I'm not so sure they knew they looked a certain way but it was in chess and it was my pic of airth and the black night...

or my one of Tobi with the panties on his head xD an random momments I love thee

but yeah I dont get stoped for pics to often : / I did some poses for Kairi when I was at the photoshoot (still looking for those pics if anyone knows where they are btw) and they were kinda on the spot things... but it was a lot of fun...

for 09 I got some cosplays that will probelly get more picture stops, I think Lavi and my mallet will at least >.> so I'm preparing poses...
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:56 pm »
Unfortunately, I couldn't ask her if it was OK to take a picture or not. Was asked not to, because I didn't have her permission.

I don't get why some people don't want pictures taken of them while they're asleep.  I mean, if they're drooling, or in an awkward position, then I guess that might be embarassing...  If I ever fall asleep in cosplay, I guess I'll just tell my friends to give permission to anyone who wants to take a picture. :P

Also got a kick out of the Macys pics of the Sand Village ninja posing with the manequins.  Those were just priceless.

;D  I didn't think anyone had seen those pictures.  Too bad we couldn't get all three of us in the right poses for one big picture.  Ah well, it was fun.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 10:29:17 pm »
I was thinking that I could just photoshop all three together

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:40 pm »
Heh, that you could. XD

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 10:56:15 pm »
Was mostly emo looking cause dark link is all dressed in black
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 08:48:34 pm »
random thought: anyone else love finding a REALLY good location to do a photoshoot for your cosplay??
it just makes your cosplay look amazing when it's in the right environment!!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 08:55:03 pm »
yeah good locations make a good picture an amazing picture.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 09:24:18 pm »
I know that when me and my friend get to portland, we're going to the japanese gardens for a photoshoot in our akatsuki cosplay! I figured it would be a lovely location for that cosplay, and I even have and idea of an L and Light [L with white angel wings and Light with black ones] walking down a road by a cemetary
0.o

I just hope there won't be any funerals going on if we decided to do that photo XD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 09:27:55 pm »
I know I need to find a good place for photo shoots. There is a cool fountain/pond area where I got my senior pictures done and I'll just have to drag a friend there XD

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 09:33:47 pm »
I seriosly want to go to the japanese gardens for a photoshoot with one of my cosplays... I kinda wanna go to a cemitary for my rosette and Lavi one... I have this one picture I wanna do with lavi where hes kinda in front of a whole bunch of graves... to me it signifies all the names of those perished he knows as book keeper.... rosette I wanna go to a graveyard cause its just really fitting to her... I also wanna find an angel statue to pose buy with her x.x

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 09:35:10 pm »
Maybe we can schedule a meet-up next weekend for a photo shoot at the garden? Or would peoples costumes not be ready?

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »
next weekend my cosplay would be far from ready x.x I havent even gotten fabric for it yet!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2008, 09:39:21 pm »
yeah.....sad.....all you people and not getting things done faster XD

jk just don't put it off for too long ;)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 09:41:03 pm »
as if I didnt put it off long enough last year? xD remeber I spent the two days before the con and the night before sewing on my hemming cause I hadnt done it yet... and I kept stabbing myself x.x not makin that mistake again... specialy now that my machines fixed <3

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 09:52:37 pm »
well that is good. I always worry that I wouldn't get my costume done in time....that reminds me I need to fix the shoes for Albel

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 10:03:54 pm »
Wow, I'm surprised so many people posted here! 8D

I've never really seen people in sleeping poses (I tend to look straight ahead when I'm walking in crowded places...), but it seems a little bit weird to be taking someone's picture while they're sleeping.  Even if you get permission, it seems a bit too...intimate, I guess.  

But getting a good area is..you know, good.  We had our Phoenix Wright photoshoots by the pool, and while this gave us a lot of space, personally I thought it seemed a little strange and unfitting for a court sim(...) game.  It was still fun, but some of the pictures just look a little funky with this giant pool in front of us.  

This year, I tended to take my lanyard off for photos... Or I'd tuck it to where it wouldn't be noticeable, or something.  
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »
All I do when someone asks me for a pic is ask them what do they want me to do? BUT this year now that ima be cloakless sasori I have plenty of secret poses >:3

I got pics taken of me when I was trying to climb the tree and found a brownie and tryed to chase L with it XD and I think I was sleeping once when someone took my pic but I was on the picnic table >w>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:33:09 pm by KinkyFriedChicken »
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2008, 08:14:43 am »
hahaha. I'd only ask to take a picture of someone while they're sleeping if they look reallllyyy cute or are in a funny position.
I know I might fall asleep next to either itachi or tobi on our way to portland because I'm gonna be squished in the middle seat XP

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2008, 11:00:13 am »
I will get some sleeping pictures of Kimimaro....need them of Albel too. I need to get some of him being all cute and curled up around a stuffed animal or something. O.O I know....I have a little blue dragon I can use. XD