Author Topic: Sewing Machine  (Read 6012 times)

oslapedo

Sewing Machine
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:17:02 pm »
Me and my sister have decided to buy a sewing machine so we can practice, and I was wondering what sewing machines are better than others. We were thinking about getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2610-Free-Arm-Stitches-Functions/dp/B000A5CKHG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1223784926&sr=8-4

Would that be alright for making cosplay? I'm a noob, so I can't really tell. Any sewing machine purchasing advie would be quite helpful!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Re: Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:44:43 am »
I dun know how good that one is, but some difference in various sewing machines are how loud they as well as many options you have.  I have 40 dollar portable one thats loud that only on do a simple stitch while I have a older one that less noisey with more options.  generally, if I had a choice, I like to use the other one.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:30:58 am »
I love my singer sewing machine. It's helped me in almost all of my cosplays. But I also use my mother's industrial sewing machines at the shop o-o
I don't recommend industrial machines if you don't know how to work it. Many accident stories....[/shudder]
Choose a simple sewing machine. That one looks good but I'm not sure about that brand or whatnot since I just stick to my singer most of the time XD
I recommend a marrow machine as well o-o but that's only for the edges.
There's always the option of double folding if you don't have one anyway so it's not very necessary, but useful.
Don't go for anything fancy with all these special designs a shiz...it just makes things more complicated XD
There's my little tip ^w^

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:54:59 am »
Thank you for the advice. =3

Offline MizzArianna

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:21:23 pm »
I have a Singer too. They are really good and last a long time. My mom has had hers for like 20 years.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:12:35 pm »
personally I find older sewing machines(that still work XD) are better to use. since it's not really complicated to thread them and I really only need a couple settings and different stitch types. singer brand I've found though has been proven to be a really good one.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:30:08 pm »
I asked the pro (my wife) and she recommended looking here: http://sewing.patternreview.com/ and here http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=120725  She said she would stay away from Brother if you were buying it from someplace like Walmart.  She recommends a low end Janome as being the best machine for your money.  If you can find it, an older Viking is also a good buy.  A Pfaff would be excellent, but doubt you would find one in your price range.  Singer is, OK (That is wife-speak for "I wouldn't buy one").  Her current one is a Kenmore.

Don't buy from a super store like Walmart.  Buy from a sewing machine dealer.  They will be able to repair your machine for you if you have any problems, will offer classes and training, will be able to answer your questions, and will most likely have used machines for sale.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:45:18 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:45 pm »
Don't buy from a super store like Walmart.  Buy from a sewing machine dealer.  They will be able to repair your machine for you if you have any problems, will offer classes and training, will be able to answer your questions, and will most likely have used machines for sale.

This.
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 10:05:24 pm »
That's very helpful everyone so thanks. When we get the money, we'll go to our local Joann's fabrics and poke around there looking for machines. Is it possible to get decent sewing machines around $100ish?

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 04:20:48 pm »
my sewing machine is a piece of **** but I love it <3 It was a handme down from my aunt, whos a great seamstress. It's kinda old, and at first I didnt know how to use it and it was broken for a while (It would take my bobin string and deposit it all through out the sewing machine, so then it would get stuck after two stichs, and I would have to take my tweasers... worst part is it only opend up in this tiny part D: so it would take me hours and hours to get it all fixed, trust me I tried it several times, and I loaded the bobin right) but I got it fixed recently... I'm actualy getting another one from my aunt soon as a b day present cause she felt bad that my current one broke....

yeah singers are a nice brand... I recomend them :3
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:36:56 pm »
There is a shop called Montavilla Sewing Center(several locations) http://www.montavillasewing.com/ where I got both my machines.  My dad got a Viking and I also later purchased a PFAFF for my school club use (I started a cosplay club at my school).  They give free operational learning lessons if you purchase a machine there.  I've never had a problem with the Viking (kinda expensive but good investment).  The PFAFF seems to only like working for me and not my friends and seems to jam whenever they use it...?  :-\
Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)