Author Topic: PSP technical problems, HELP!  (Read 1970 times)

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
PSP technical problems, HELP!
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:56:48 am »
OK I didn't know exactly where to post this but if it's in the wrong place it'll be moved if someone feels it's important enough. Anyways, I need help. My PSP has done this wierd thing where it randomly shuts off without making a soft save or whatever it does when you turn it off. When I turn it back on, it takes me to the system menu and I have to open the UMD disc again. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? I don't have a warranty since it was bought used, that and I kinda voided the warranty changing the faceplate. Also it's a fat PSP if that helps. Any info would be helpful...unless it's sarcastic......
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
Re: PSP technical problems, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:28:42 am »
Yo i would ask Dancing Tofu. He seems like he would be the most knowledgeable on that subject. Other then that the only thing i can really think of would be too google psp forums and ask around there.  All that aside this seems like a good place to post the thread seeing how this area gets the most attention of all the boards. Though that could easily work against you if it gets buried in spam.  Goodluck!
Team Koga

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:23:37 am »
What does Google say about this issue?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:21 pm »
Sounds uncomfortably similar to a problem Steven's PSP had.  Does this only happen when you tap the power switch up, or does it happen randomly?  If it only happens when you put it in sleep mode, go turn on auto-sleep and see if it will enter sleep mode normally just by being left alone for a while.  If so, there's probably a lose ribbon wire which is skewing the timing module that tells the PSP to sleep.  Let me know.  When do you finish classes on Tuesday?  I can meet you in the afternoon at Backspace to see if we can fix it if you're free between 3 and 4.

If you get the same problem with auto-sleep, it's a boot issue.  Try using another battery. (Steven's PSP is out of commission; I'm PMing you his phone number; call him if you want to borrow his battery.)
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 03:37:16 am »
It just happens randomly. Also, disregard that PM I sent you, I read your PM before I read this lol. I'll get a new battery and see if that does anything. It doesn't happen often so it's not a huge deal, it's just annoying when it does happen. Like when I haven't saved in a while and it shuts off right in front of a save point.....yeah, that sucks. Also Charles, your copy of Monster Hunter was stolen from me on MAX on the way home from school.....I'll replace it when I can but as of right now I'm tight on money. They also got my Final Fantasy and my 1gig memory stick.....and my sweet Crisis Core game case...

Offline MizzArianna

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
How about you completely take it apart and build it from scratch? Perhaps you may learn something.

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:28:24 pm »
How bout no? I'd rather not risk any damage, I don't know anything about the innards of a PSP. The most advanced thing I know how to do is change the faceplate.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:42:54 pm »
Random as in you set it down for a moment with the game on pause and you turn back around and it's out, or random as applied to 'I shake the PSP when I play and sometimes it goes off but sometimes it doesn't' kind of stuff?

Start playing, and when it goes off try and figure out what you did. If you can't figure it out again, keep doing it until you get definitive results. Maybe there's a certain way you move it that makes something nudge slightly out of place? A wire inside, perhaps, like Tofu said? Our cable box occasionally makes the picture on our TV fuzzy when someone closes a door because the momentum passes through the wall and moves the wire just enough that it comes out barely enough. Perhaps it's like that?

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:57:08 pm »
Nah, it can't be anything like that. I had thought of that and tried to figure out what I was doing but I wasn't doing anything that could cause that. Unless pressing right and X at he same time cause it lol.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 11:44:48 pm »
Steven's problems were caused by an analog stick pattern.  If he moved it in a certain pattern, it would freeze, and the only way to turn it back on was to remove the battery then reboot it.  My PSP freezes occasionally too, so it may just be that fats have some processor glitches.  The good news is, I have never heard of anything like this happening with a slim.  The bad news is, they're expensive, especially when you've already bought a fat. :[  Hopefully the problems subside; I don't think it has to do with the firmware, but if it gets really bad, you might want to switch to an official firmware version to see if that helps.
Try asking on some PSP hacking forums to see if others have had similar problems and if it's fixable.

Don't worry about the Monster Hunter; I can just torrent it, and I deleted all my data on accident so I haven't really bothered to play much recently anyway.  I don't expect you to replace that or pay me anything for the bass until you've gotten a steady job and you've gotten the other things that were stolen replaced.

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 01:40:53 am »
OK, thanks for being considerate. I still feel bad though.....I think it was that creepy lookin' emo kid......anyways....yeah I think I might go buy a slim once I get extra money, even though I like the fat better. The fat feels more ergonomic to me, but I think the slim has a more scratch resistant screen. It seems like that anyways. My roomie leaves his on the floor and puts it in his pocket and his screen is just fine. And a new one won't have dust and crap inside the screen from when I replaced the faceplate.....

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 12:56:12 am »
Yeah, mine has a couple mondo scratches.  I'm waiting for the anti-glare faceplate of the new one.  I'm gonna see if I can just get the new hardware and put the new hardware and faceplate on my old case, so I have the faster RAM and the anti-glare and all the nice new features but still have the thicker, more textured back and the disc tray that doesn't just fall open if you get a bad one.

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 05:56:23 am »
But that's what a warranty is for silly :P But yeah.....is the anti-glare faceplate on the 3000? Or is it gonna be a new feature of the 2000?