Author Topic: cosplay pet-peeves  (Read 38519 times)

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
cosplay pet-peeves
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:08:29 pm »
this thread isn't to bash on other people's costumes, so please keep any rants somewhat decent, alright?
anyways, I was just looking through a bunch of pictures of costumes and some of my "pet-peeves" began to emrge.
I didn't see any other threads about this, so I ask you...
what is YOUR cosplay pet-peeve?

mine, is wig colors...I just can't stand it when a wig is the wrong shade for the character....

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: cosplay pet-peeves
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:01 pm »
Mine is were they just make the props way to big (got hit with a overlarged sword o.x) And It would be the wigs too ._. They never really think to work on everything early and look up everything >.<
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:51:34 pm »
I hate the people that don't really try. They will put on the clothes but not get a wig and call themselves a character. Also if you are going to cosplay you should try to make it look good.

And Mustach, not all of us Narutards are bad. I consider myself good ;D

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:00:48 am »
same here! I'm a narutard, but that isn't like...the ONLY anime I've ever seen or anything XD

OH! another pet peeve: girls with big chests who are crossplaying but don't bind! or even try to hide their [cough] assets.

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:00:17 am »
Satin-- that awful stuff that looks shiny and cheap and wrinkles at the drop of a hat and shows EVERY LITTLE SEWING FLAW IN THE WORLD.  Particularly badly sewn or badly hemmed satin, because seeing all those little shredded threads dangling off the bottom looks abominable.

In general, actually, those finishing details will drive me bonkers.  There's nothing like ruining an otherwise lovely cosplay with unfinished work.  Not to mention that satin seems used so often because it's cheap and shiny and OMG!  I try not to be neurotic about things like fabric choices, but sometimes it makes me twitch.  At least I admit that I'm anal-retentive?

(And I agree with nikkiolie on people half-arsing stuff.  The simpler the cosplay, the more you have to pay attention to details.  Seriously!)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:38:17 am »
Yeah I had that problem with my belt on Albel but I fixed it by adding an inside layer. I don't like to use it a lot but the belt needed some type of shiny material and that was all I could find. Luckily I got to hide my horrible sewing job with the cord around the edges XD (look at avatar picture for ref, it is the gold belt)

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:47:06 pm »
I hate the people that don't really try. They will put on the clothes but not get a wig and call themselves a character. Also if you are going to cosplay you should try to make it look good.

And Mustach, not all of us Narutards are bad. I consider myself good ;D
I agree, going all out is nice!
but sometimes some people don't have the ability too.
but if you don't try as hard you can.
I say just forget about cosplaying.
like people that cosplay L.....
I'm just like...Oh gawd!
at least Dye your hair black and cut it.
oh at least get baggy pants and get some boxers to sag.
it really isn't hard.
but yea Sewing Jobs bug me too....
I have a lot of pet peeves....
but I can get over them if i talk to the people and there cool.
maybe with there next cosplay, if there a new friend I could help.
Next con: Kumori-con

Offline tori-chama

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:02:20 pm »
Props made of cardboard + Ductape = fail

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »
lmao
YES!
but I think when people make Gundam's out of that stuff its funny

but still
instant fail!
XD

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »
No fail for me cuz I actually made my sasori torso out of house hold junk cuz im poor! ^^ It looks remarkable for being made out of cardbored, ducktape, wire hangers (frame), paper mache stuff and I finnished it off with spray painting it my skin color I'll take pics when I attach the rope and joo see I NO FAIL >:3
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
lol no I mean the box gundam's that just have  them in a box that says gundam.
there not really trying.
but you tried, so no Fail for you!
^^
I think thats actually really cool.
I wanna see if a picture if you can XD

Offline tori-chama

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 03:09:48 pm »
Well, with paper mache and paint, it looks fine...
But I was asking my mom about making armor for a Sora cosplay (I'm still thinking about that) and she's just like, "get some cardboard and paint it silver! You'll look fine..."

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 03:13:22 pm »
XO
I hate how parents don't understand how we needs to look good or it won't work!!!
>.<
it bugs me how there like the one part thats just like...yea...no...

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:16:32 pm »
My mom just makes me buy everything I need all I used for the rope was well....rope and silver spray paint XD

@tori: Good cuz I dont like to fail.
 I SHA'LL NEVER FAIL LIKE I DID AT THIS YEARS KCON >:O
I was a good sasori but the cloak is like 3 sizes to big for me DX
also you mean the keyblade thingy? ._. I saw a bunch of those for sale at the kcon hall X3 they were really good and I wanted a gun they had but I blew all my money DX
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline tori-chama

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 03:25:52 pm »
Naw, not the keyblade. The armor (from KH 2) that he has on his shoulders...

and *I* was an epic fail at this years con. I only had like, *6* people ask for a pic. ***6*** >:0

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 03:27:57 pm »
Meh. I probly havent played in the game that far yet X3

I hade people take pics of me even when I was just attempting to climb a tree and chased my friend L with a brownie on a stick XD
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 04:05:59 pm »
dude least you got six, I got like none xD besides friends, my Kairi was pretty fail, cause it was a lil big, and the wig was being annoying and didnt frame my face (I have a bad face for wigs)
returning with a vengeance to K con~

oslapedo

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 04:10:02 pm »
I think I had less than 6 XD Next year I will be far more epic though!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 04:15:40 pm »
king next year you and I both shall be getting tons and tons of picture requests! cause our cosplayness is so wonderful! <3
returning with a vengeance to K con~

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 04:28:52 pm »
When I cosplayed overal Ritsuka I had maybe 7 people come up to me and I havent seen those pics anywere =3=
~Sakuracon 2016

Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 04:42:53 pm »
okay poeple. BACK ON TOPIC!
any other cosplay pet-peeves that just make you twinge whenever ya see them?
or maybe a pet-peeve for a CERTAIN cosplay.
like how I cannot stand it when L cosplayers use their own hair....

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 05:01:22 pm »
unless their hair is good for L

but yeah I am on the same boat
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:01:58 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 05:32:27 pm »
yeah, and I have a lot of pet-peeves for cosplayers in general as well...
like lack of respect, or arrogant "I'm a better cosplayer than you" attitudes.

Offline tori-chama

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:21 pm »
I don't like people who think good cosplay can only be done by asians or by anerexics.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 08:05:26 pm »
man mine just tend to pop out randomly.

my main ones are eyes, height, and breasts. your eyes have to be the right color(unless it's an impossible one like gold), breasts need to be the same to the character or near the same, and you need to near the same height as your character. or you can't be taller then someone in your group who's charater their playing is taller then yours. it just doesn't make any sense then.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 08:10:29 pm »
mine may be a bit mean but I really dont mean to be so please dont take offence. I cant stand when very overweight cosplayers go as characters that show a lot of skin or super tight costumes. I mean at least look somewhat like the character, or alter the costume to fit your body type and look flattering on you. Heck, I am a slender woman but there are many cosplays I wont do even!
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 08:20:39 pm »
@deviant spider
I think a lot of people have that pet peeve. it's a pretty understandable one. I'm glad that the person feels good enough to go out like that but you need to be respectful to others too. not trying to sound offending either. I'm not that small figured myself but I try to make my costumes look good on me and fit me well to show the character.
da/tumblr

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »
I usually can't stand it when cosplayers use their own hair, unless it's a super-simple hairstyle and they can pull it off exactally right. Dx But I have OCD like that.
"Would you kindly. ."

oslapedo

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 08:41:17 pm »
Teehee nevermind!

I don't have many cosplay peeves... as long as the people cosplaying are having fun that's all that matters  :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:46:20 pm by oslapedo »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 09:37:53 pm »
mine may be a bit mean but I really dont mean to be so please dont take offence. I cant stand when very overweight cosplayers go as characters that show a lot of skin or super tight costumes. I mean at least look somewhat like the character, or alter the costume to fit your body type and look flattering on you. Heck, I am a slender woman but there are many cosplays I wont do even!
I think everyone has that one. I personally don't want to see every lump and curve like that >_>

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 08:17:56 am »
I think everyone has that one. I personally don't want to see every lump and curve like that >_>

Yeah, sorry 'bout that, gaiz. ^_0

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 10:03:53 am »

Yeah, sorry 'bout that, gaiz. ^_0

No you are good. Barret it is a large guy he needs to be cosplayed by another large guy. I'm talking about people who are large and think it would be a good idea to cosplay Yoko from Gurren Lagann*twitch*
I mean you should kinda have the same body type as the person you are cosplaying. If you are overweight and can't find a character then it is fine to cosplay ones that are skinny....but try one whose close aren't tight or has enough to cover everything up.

But I will say one thing. Someone who is overweight and is willing to wear little to no clothes out in public has a lot of self-esteem and I give you props for that. It takes a lot of balls to do that

Also eve you are a muscular guy ;)

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 03:02:48 pm »
I don't think it's necessarily a question of size, certain exceptions aside -- no one ever looks good in spandex bodystockings, and when there's not a lot of clothes involved, the outfit typically won't be flattering on someone heavy.  More than that, or cosplaying a character the same size as you, is knowing how to handle your size with the costume you are going for.  Tailoring and fit are a HUGE factor, no matter if you're eighty pounds or two hundred and eighty.

Of course, being heavier, I'm naturally biased on this subject, but the blanket statement of "cosplay characters the same size as you" drives me mildly nuts.  There are times that it matters, and times when it is irrelevant, and done right, it can be rendered immaterial in most situations unless -- as with things like eye colour -- it is a MAJOR part of the character.  But if your costume is too tight or too loose, it won't look good no matter what your build is.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 11:13:18 am »
I don't think it's necessarily a question of size, certain exceptions aside -- no one ever looks good in spandex bodystockings, and when there's not a lot of clothes involved, the outfit typically won't be flattering on someone heavy.  More than that, or cosplaying a character the same size as you, is knowing how to handle your size with the costume you are going for.  Tailoring and fit are a HUGE factor, no matter if you're eighty pounds or two hundred and eighty.

Of course, being heavier, I'm naturally biased on this subject, but the blanket statement of "cosplay characters the same size as you" drives me mildly nuts.  There are times that it matters, and times when it is irrelevant, and done right, it can be rendered immaterial in most situations unless -- as with things like eye colour -- it is a MAJOR part of the character.  But if your costume is too tight or too loose, it won't look good no matter what your build is.

I totally agree with this. I believe that anyone should be the character they want to be, but make alterations to the costume that flatter the person. I know I cosplayed a character that had her tummy showing and I choose to lengthen the top as I was pregnant just enough for it to be noticible. I still looked like the character to a T. And if we all had to be the same size of the character than 90% of us wouldnt fit, we would be too tall, short, overweight, underweight, young, old etc. :)

2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 10:42:58 am »
I agree with what has been said before, but my thoughts on it are that If you expand the costume in proportion to how you are expanded compared to that character, it should look fine! If your much taller, add inches at the waist, and so on. I've seen a few people cosplaying outside of their body types, who actually look pretty good! ^^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 01:25:12 pm »
That whole thing came out wrong and I'm sorry if anyone too major offense to it. But what myalchod said sums up the way I feel.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 01:33:25 pm »
bascially, you all agree that when people dun account for different body shapes in making a costume of a character who is a different shape then you are.

if I'm not mistaken anyway.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »
bascially, you all agree that when people dun account for different body shapes in making a costume of a character who is a different shape then you are.

if I'm not mistaken anyway.
Thats what I got from Niki's post... ^^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »
Yeah that's basically it.....and that no one looks good in a body suit XD

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »
Yeah that's basically it.....and that no one looks good in a body suit XD
....theres probably SOMEONE out there who does! ^^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 02:01:26 pm »
very few people do......not many though

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 02:38:38 pm »
You know what my current peeve is? My bobbin running out RIGHT when I start a stitch and I don't manage to notice until I've done the entire seam.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 02:49:36 pm »
yeah that would be very very annoying x.x

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 03:14:50 pm »
No offence taken, nikkiolie -- it just happened to be a subject I'm kind of opinionated on, and I get pretty darned verbose on those. :3

(If we're going with petty personal pet peeves, I HATE FALSE ADVERTISING.  I bought a spool of this little floral Venise lace because it was on closeout and I need more lace for my Toribla cosplay.  It was advertised as rayon, so I'm all, "Great, it'll dye just like the rest of mine."  LIES.  I threw a piece into a dyebath over the weekend along with snips from the other two and the sateen that'll be going with them, and it didn't take the dye at all.  RAGE.
And WORD on the MFbobbins.  Mine always die right after I've done the back-and-forth at the beginning, though, so I have the worst part of the entire seam to rip out.)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 03:56:57 pm »
THATS WHAT HAPPENS WITH MY BOBBINS TO!!!
what I do is always wrap 2 when I'm winding, so i just swap out and just leave in the back and forth part ^^.
I'm very bad with the seam ripper (i have many wounds ><) So i generally avoid taking out seams unless i really have to.

one of my other pet peeves is working with elastic.... It never does what I want, likes to pull out stitches unless you have a grip of steel, and it seems like I always break my needles when working with elastic ><

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 04:37:48 pm »
hmmmm another pet peeve I have.....Oh I know. The people that are "don't cosplay Naruto or Bleach or Death Note because it is overdone" I don't care if it is overdone if you want to cosplay a character do it. But you know you could try to make it look really really good.

Take this group for example. Their cosplay isn't bad but they could have gone the extra step to make it amazing. All they would have to do is style the wigs properly or even buy a wig and they would look fantastic. If your character has a noticeable trait (such as the camera eye that Deidara has) try to make it. If you need glasses but the character you are cosplaying doesn't have them look at getting contacts, too expensive? Take your glasses off for pictures.

Going the extra step will not only make you feel better about your costume and give you confidence it will also make those people who discriminate against shows stop and think "wow there are so many Naruto's here but this one looks f*ing amazing"

I don't know about anyone else but I want to look f*ing amazing XD
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:38:46 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »
I agree with you nikkiolie. I agree with not cosplaying with series that are over popular, but I do want people to do what they want to do. if theres thousands of the character or not. but yes everyone I think should take that upper step to be awesome. :3

if it's your first time it's understandable unless you didn't try at all.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 04:56:08 pm »
Also shows like Naruto Bleach and Death Note are shows that got a lot of people into anime. Those shows and characters hold a special meaning to a lot of the younger con goers. I'm sure a few years ago DBZ was WAY over done but a lot of us older people grew up on that and we still love the show.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 05:02:10 pm »
yeah and you reminisce when you see dbz or sailor moon. but I still get a little tired of seeing a lot of certain cosplays from those series. mainly sailor moon. not too many do those characters justice either.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:41 pm »
I need to cosplay one of them.....at this rate it will either be Mars or Venus >_> I'm growing my hair out....I may keep it blond for a while. >_>

I don't know....that is far in the future though. I do love Mars the bestest ^_^