Author Topic: cosplay pet-peeves  (Read 39023 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: cosplay pet-peeves
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2008, 09:14:29 pm »
I've heard one person in the past three conventions I've been to pronounce it correctly.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34:51 pm »
I dislike really cheaply done cosplays. 

Like someone who did inuyasha by wearing red sweat pants and a red shirt, having a wig that showed their normal color of hair.  There comes a point when it is somewhat insulting to see.

This I totally agree with...That...I can't even put into words.

Another pet peeve of mine is those people who are so freaking analytical about cosplays. Those people who are all like: "You don't even look like them so you can't cosplay them" kind of people. Those people who say "You don't have the right skin tone, that cosplay is horrible because of that." I mean that's just rude. Sorry I can't change my skin tone, but isn't cosplay for fun? You don't have to have everything perfect. If your trying hard enough and the cosplay is decently made with the right hair color, I don't complain. Cosplay is fun, not being perfect, as much as we try to be.

A personal con [not just cosplay pet peeve] of mine is the game. For gods sake there's a limit on the freaking game. Yes, you lost. We get it. But we are in a hotel with OTHER people. Be respectful. I quit the game because of K-con. I couldn't go 5 minutes without hearing "I lost the game" or seeing "You lost the game" or something stupid about the game. LET IT DIE ALREADY!

Probably eveyone's pet peeve: The random glomping. We dress up as awesome characters for the recognition and being awesome yes. But when you get randomly tackled for wearing said awesome cosplay: Not cool. Not all of us want to be tackled like a football player with a ball by many people or even one very strong person who happens to love your character so much they charge at you. People...seriously...CALM DOWN!

Personal pet peeve of mine are wigs. Everything about wigs. They can come off easily. Long wigs get tangled SUPER easy. Short wigs don't look good with long hair all bunched up into wig cap. Long bangs poke into your eyes. Some are just really bad quality. The price of a good wig. Just wigs. That's my problem really.

I think my little rant is over. Probably eveything I mention has already been mentioned anyway XD

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
OH! I forgot to mention on the "yaoi" thing. A huge pet peeve of mine is that 90% of yaoi fangirls can't even pronounce the word. It's not "yeahwee". It's "yah-oh-ee". The "ya" part is soft. Go into a smooth transition to the "o", then softly continue into the "i". There's no "w" in "yaoi". ^^; Sorry. That's probably something I might offend people on, but I mean well.

My friends and I kind of cringe whenever we hear a group of girls yelling "YEAHWEE!!!" at the top of their lungs. I think that also goes back to social graces, too.

*flail* I have a hard time pronouncing it the right way, so I just say it how everyone else does. xD
But I'm not a fan of yaoi anyway, so I wouldn't scream yaoi at the top of my lungs...

I ish fan but not crazed fan screaming at a pairing going "KISS KISS KISS!" Or something random like that. It's just stupid.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2008, 11:49:08 pm »
Wigs kill. x.e
I mean, I get uber excited whenever a wig comes in the mail or someth, but wearing them is another story.

Totally forgot to mention how itcheh they is too DX

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2008, 11:52:12 pm »
I wore my hunny wig just today. I almost ripped it off my head on the bus by the end of 4th period.
sooo itcheh....
I would scratch my head so often i think i can still feel the itcheh!!!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2008, 07:23:38 am »
Some itch really badly. One really bad thing about the ones I have is that they leave marks along my forehead so if I need to do anything after a meetup and I was wearing a wig I have this big red mark all away across my forehead. x.x

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2008, 10:52:40 am »
I hate trying to get my hair up under a wig cap without it looking crazy bulky.  Getting it in is no problem -- I swam competitively for ten years, I better know how to put something a little like a swim cap on my head.  But getting my hair to be mostly flat?  FAIL.  I did it for Hallowe'en, though, and realised that draping my hair loosely over my head and pinning it down with flat clips (not bobby pins) before putting the wig cap on over it worked pretty well.  I anchored the wig through the cap and into the clips, which also helped.  Was the first time I've been comfortable in a wig, but I've only ever worn one other short one before, so the absence of all that weight pulling back on it might've helped.
That said: I love/hate wigs.  They're awesome fun when they're behaving, but when they're not ... RAAAAAAGE.

I categorically loathe character designers who give implausible hairstyles, though.  *fist-shakes at Kubo*

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2008, 10:55:01 am »
To get my hair in a wig cap I just shove it all in there then shift it around till it is about even all over. If I had much more hair that would be a lot harder to do.

Since I am looking to grow my hair out longer I may have to find a better way to put it up x.x

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2008, 11:34:02 am »
Depending on the hair styles I use my real hair ._.

And I also style my own wigs so it looks really good with real hair or not.

Wigs for me only hurt when they have long bangs. Like my Sakon wig is getting a little anoying cuz the bangs are attacking my eyes.
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline katayamadono

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2008, 12:34:01 pm »
I had some one in none-cosplay try and analyze my Hikaru. I was like "WTH? NO!" I apparently didnt have the strings hanging from my hair "long enough" even though they were to my ankles! Any longer and I wouldve gotten them caught in the escalator or something. I made them shorter for safety reasons.

So my pet peeve is people whose cosplays kinda seem dangerous. Goes along with oversized weapons and whatnot. Like, I'm ok with being accurate, but dont overexagerrate a feature, and keep in mind we are not actually anime/game characters so our clothes will not defy gravity like we want!!

I do have non-wig issues, but if your hair is close to the character, then thats ok. My petpeeve about wigs are if they obviously dont fit right on the cosplayers head (like they have too much hair and dont know how to properly pin up their hair, or if they just cant put on a wig!) I mean, I give slack to those who have obnoxiously thick hair, but other than that. And if their wig was clearly bought out of some crappy costume shop (I work at Party City and see 'to-be' cosplayers buying their wigs there, and that is immediate fail in my book, cuz those wigs are terrible!). I know some people cant afford nice fancy wigs, but man, those are the cheapest of cheap. If you can see most of the cap the hair is attached to, it just looks gross.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2008, 12:47:08 pm »
I know its a lot of people's peeves, but i don't think you should have to bind your chest if your are crossplaying.
When I first did my link, I bound and it was one of the more painful things I have ever done. I decided that I could go for a more feminine link, because that is how the costume is comfortable to me. I think If i wear it more in the future I'll try binding again, but I think that if its more comfortable for someone NOT to bind, its fine if they don't! ^^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
yeah it is more comfortable NOT to bind but it is much more accurate TO bind, and seeing how most people are going for accuracy then binding is a must.

Offline katayamadono

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2008, 04:46:35 pm »
I have to bind for one of my soon to come crossplays, which I'm not looking forward to. I'm much more.... equipt up there then bindings will allow. But I am stoked to crossplay my crossplay! Which will require no bindings! Haha.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »
Yeah I need to bind for Albel because the shirt is too tight >_< and I have to use tape not an ace bandage because the ace bandage makes my stomach look more fatty because it's pushing all in innerds down x.x

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »
My compression shirt is amazing, I'm really glad I invested in it.

But as for wigs, I have short hair, so putting any sort of wig on is a pretty easy task for me. But even I have a difficult time making sure all my hair's in the wig cap and none of it's showing underneath the wig itself.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »
I need to get a compression shirt.....I might try yours on again to make sure that it will work with the shirt before I buy one, if you don't mind.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2008, 05:51:13 pm »
Haha I don't care, you can try it on to make sure it works.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2008, 06:38:04 pm »
more of I want to make sure I get flat enough with the other shirt on and it doesn't show at all...i don't think it will but it might.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:17 pm »
My compression shirt is amazing, I'm really glad I invested in it.

But as for wigs, I have short hair, so putting any sort of wig on is a pretty easy task for me. But even I have a difficult time making sure all my hair's in the wig cap and none of it's showing underneath the wig itself.
Where did you get it? =o The compression shirt.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:49:47 pm by CatchxMe »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2008, 07:10:46 pm »
I've seen them online but no where else....I can try to find a link to one and post it.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2008, 07:13:30 pm »
Many thanks. <3

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2008, 07:17:15 pm »

Offline Auricle

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2008, 08:49:16 pm »
Buying a binder/compression shirt is one of the best things you can do for making yourself comfortable while crossplaying. I still use a single ace bandage under mine, but that's only because I want everything to be held in place more, even though my binder works just fine by itself.

Haha. Well, people might not realize that it's the best I've been able to bind, but compared to me normally it's super flat. @_@
Possible Future Cosplays:
Sergio - Minor Acts of Heroism
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Maybe something from Homestuck
? ? ?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »
I guess if I had the compression shirt I could wrap the ace around myself but much much loser than it normally is.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:18 pm »
I put my hair in a pony tail but then it makes the shape of my head look weird DX

Offline Auricle

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2008, 09:50:43 pm »
Yeah, the ace is pretty much just for comfort and as an extra bounce guard. XD And 'cause it's fairly loose, you can breathe! : D And you won't bruise your ribs! : D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:51:09 pm by Auricle »
Possible Future Cosplays:
Sergio - Minor Acts of Heroism
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Maybe something from Homestuck
? ? ?

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2008, 08:27:34 am »
I got mine at an ebay store. It's for men with moobs, but since I'm not an obese man the size is so small it only runs for about 25$. The Underworks one I'm not sure of, but I know that I read reviews about them, and people with a cup size any bigger then a B had trouble hiding them with their bindings. It's the only reason I went for the ebay store one, and it works really well!
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2008, 09:07:22 am »
well I may get mine at the place you got yours....though I do have b cups ;D

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2008, 10:18:07 am »
I know its a lot of people's peeves, but i don't think you should have to bind your chest if your are crossplaying.
When I first did my link, I bound and it was one of the more painful things I have ever done. I decided that I could go for a more feminine link, because that is how the costume is comfortable to me. I think If i wear it more in the future I'll try binding again, but I think that if its more comfortable for someone NOT to bind, its fine if they don't! ^^

I usually end up with bloody cuts and the occasional goudges. But it saves me from having to add sticky fake blood so whatever.

The worst was my young Byakuya costume. It looked I'd been stabbed in the chest so I just said it was "future stigmata" ^^;

Also you don't have to to put te tape directly ON your skin. There are many other options.
Putting tape OVER a tank top or  sports bra. using a combination of things like Kobane/that foam stuff ( I'll find the name later) and tape. Lots of things.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »
[/flail] totally thought of 2 new pet peeves.

1: How long cosplay take to make

2: How long you have to wait for cosplays/wigs.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:59 am »
I don't think it really takes that long. I split up my longest one and it took maybe about three days to do it (about three full days of work over a span of a month) and that was because I had school.

Though I can see your issue with having several cosplays to get done...maybe look at limiting it to three per con?

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2008, 02:04:54 pm »
not reading the whole thread so to say:

when people go for a character the do it really well, but it just looks wrong because they don't have the face or body stature for that character. (height sometimes can be excused except if its kakashi. he must be taller then me. *my bias*)

i also hate how all the tall characters are big chested and flat bellied. use tall ppl are one or the other not both <_<'
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:29 pm »
I guess height is a little bit important but body type not so much. If you are overweight there isn't a lot of characters that have the same body. Its like saying people of color should only cosplay other characters that have the same skin color.

So body weight has nothing to do with anything but...height, you can make yourself taller, but it is harder to make yourself shorter. You don't even have to be the same height but if the character you are portraying is the tallest in a group make sure you are the tallest in the group.

But height and body type are the last thing people should worry about. I think it is more important to get the costume looking perfect before you worry about your own body.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2008, 04:44:05 pm »
Just thought of a new pet-peeve.
I hate it when people call others by an anime name when they're not in cosplay or when they're in cosplay, but not that person that you're calling them. It annoys me real bad, it's like you're saying as if that's the person's real name o_o you're calling them that all the time...sometimes it feels like your friend just doesn't know you enough when that happens. > <
I've heard Monica being called Sai, and Syd being called Itachi o_o I've been called Hinata before when I was out of cosplay...

I'm used to it now. One of my friend's call me Neji at school just out of habit. I don't mind being called Sai or Sugar. I don't really care.
It's just what your used to.

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2008, 05:25:51 pm »
I hate it when people call others by an anime name when they're not in cosplay or when they're in cosplay, but not that person that you're calling them. It annoys me real bad, it's like you're saying as if that's the person's real name o_o you're calling them that all the time...sometimes it feels like your friend just doesn't know you enough when that happens. > <
I've heard Monica being called Sai, and Syd being called Itachi o_o I've been called Hinata before when I was out of cosplay...

I actually think the opposite while in cosplay: it's fun to be called your character's name.  When my sister and I were in costume, she'd call me Gaara and I'd call her Kankuro, and we both called Nikki Temari. XD  It adds a little more to being in-character, and also helps keep your identity a little more private (like, if someone asked for our picture, I'd say "Hey Kankuro, Temari, picture time!")  Even though our names were on our badges, it was a little more secretive.

Though I guess it would be annoying of people ONLY knew you by your character's name.  Though if it happened to me with a character I like, I wouldn't mind. :P
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2008, 07:15:32 pm »
I guess height is a little bit important but body type not so much. If you are overweight there isn't a lot of characters that have the same body. Its like saying people of color should only cosplay other characters that have the same skin color.

So body weight has nothing to do with anything but...height, you can make yourself taller, but it is harder to make yourself shorter. You don't even have to be the same height but if the character you are portraying is the tallest in a group make sure you are the tallest in the group.

But height and body type are the last thing people should worry about. I think it is more important to get the costume looking perfect before you worry about your own body.

Yea, it's trite but, anime characters are not realistic.  I don't expect anyone to really look too much like a character. There are limits but of coarse, but those are pretty extreme.

Unfortunately I can absolutely NOT wear heels of any kind and I do tend to get crap for it. Honestly, those people can shove it up their asses. It makes me absolutely livid that I can't wear nice shoes to go out, I don't need to take any crap for something like cosplay.

oslapedo

« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2008, 08:04:39 pm »
I like being called Kyonko, and other random anime characters, while out of cosplay x3

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2008, 09:06:36 pm »
I don't mind again, but it's hard to be called character names at con when theres like other people are cosplaying the same you all turn around when you hear your cosplay name called XD

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

I actually think the opposite while in cosplay: it's fun to be called your character's name.  When my sister and I were in costume, she'd call me Gaara and I'd call her Kankuro, and we both called Nikki Temari. XD  It adds a little more to being in-character, and also helps keep your identity a little more private (like, if someone asked for our picture, I'd say "Hey Kankuro, Temari, picture time!")  Even though our names were on our badges, it was a little more secretive.

Though I guess it would be annoying of people ONLY knew you by your character's name.  Though if it happened to me with a character I like, I wouldn't mind. :P

I meant when I'm out of cosplay. I don't mind it if I'm in cosplay, but if others only knew you by your character name and call you that daily, it would be a bit annoying.

Personally, I don't mind because I hate my real name. So any excuse to be called something else is good enough for me XD

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
Maturity levels are a big peeve for me. . NO, I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BROKEN JAPANESE OR THE FACT THAT YOU ARE AFRAID OF NORMAL PEOPLE. D: I have friends like that. Not fun.

And being called "Mello" at last K-con was a bit annoying, considering how many Mellos there were. D:
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2008, 10:27:31 pm »
Maturity levels are a big peeve for me. . NO, I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BROKEN JAPANESE OR THE FACT THAT YOU ARE AFRAID OF NORMAL PEOPLE. D: I have friends like that. Not fun.

And being called "Mello" at last K-con was a bit annoying, considering how many Mellos there were. D:
same same. even if it's not at con's too. they probably only called you that since they didn't know your real name but they knew your character. ooooh I'm sorry you have friends like that. :/
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2008, 10:54:23 pm »

same same. even if it's not at con's too. they probably only called you that since they didn't know your real name but they knew your character. ooooh I'm sorry you have friends like that. :/
Meh, it's fine. I just want to kick them sometimes because they have normie-phobia.

And yeah, I know why they called me it, and it's better than calling me blondie, but it was just weird. xD Especially because when I'm walking I'm in a half-trance state and hearing "MELLO!!!!!!!11111oneone" just makes me freaked out.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2008, 11:03:04 pm »
Meh, it's fine. I just want to kick them sometimes because they have normie-phobia.

And yeah, I know why they called me it, and it's better than calling me blondie, but it was just weird. xD Especially because when I'm walking I'm in a half-trance state and hearing "MELLO!!!!!!!11111oneone" just makes me freaked out.
normie-phobia.....ha ha*gigglesnort* I like normies.....well freaking them out at least. yeah I understand what you mean. I'd yell the characters name once to get there attention then I'd actually ask them their name and what not. you 'alias' can get tiring.
da/tumblr

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2008, 11:11:01 pm »
I like normies, and I have normie friends. ^^ But being afraid of talking to someone who doesn't like anime (le GASP!) is a bit ridiculous and kind of unhealthy.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:56 pm »
yeah really. you can't just stick to certain people. I do have a code though to be a really close friend to me, someone who I hang with all the time you gotta like anime. it just doesn't work otherwise. we both get stressed or bored.
da/tumblr

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2008, 11:31:53 pm »
Apparently I will always be "Captain Mom", even out of cosplay; I don't mind that too much, as it amuses me, and these are mostly people who'll still call me by name as well.  But I can see how being called the character out of cosplay would get annoying, especially if it's a fairly common character.

Construction time ... gah.  Not getting started on that one.  Suffice that I spend ENTIRELY too long on some of my cosplays, but all those nitty details and things like quality time with the seam ripper tend to exacerbate that.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2008, 12:49:09 am »
Apparently I will always be "Captain Mom", even out of cosplay; I don't mind that too much, as it amuses me, and these are mostly people who'll still call me by name as well.  But I can see how being called the character out of cosplay would get annoying, especially if it's a fairly common character.

Construction time ... gah.  Not getting started on that one.  Suffice that I spend ENTIRELY too long on some of my cosplays, but all those nitty details and things like quality time with the seam ripper tend to exacerbate that.

Oh yes. you always be 'Cap'n Mom".

Coming from me, you should very proud. Like i said before, getting the better of the most ruthless battle axes is a mere game for me but well..we know how it went down at KC.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2008, 04:04:29 pm »
yeah really. you can't just stick to certain people. I do have a code though to be a really close friend to me, someone who I hang with all the time you gotta like anime. it just doesn't work otherwise. we both get stressed or bored.

I get sick of people all the time. I need breaks for almost everyone. Though I have close friends that don't like anime but we still get a lot very well....we share a love for video games XD

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2008, 04:59:08 pm »

I get sick of people all the time. I need breaks for almost everyone. Though I have close friends that don't like anime but we still get a lot very well....we share a love for video games XD
ah yes the love of video games. kind of reminds me that I have a lot of guy friends because I seem to be more manly then girly. even though I am. but yeah even the friends I care dearly about, I want to get away from also. we all need alone time.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2008, 05:02:10 pm »
I grew up in q neighborhood full of guys so I was kinda taught to be more tom boyish. Plus I have never really been scared of reptiles and frogs. So I just tend to hang out with guys as I grew up playing outside turned to playing games XD