Author Topic: What spam is for.  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
What spam is for.
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:06 pm »
OMG Pirates Spam Over 9000 Zombie Smash Memorial Super-Mega Fun Kawaii Hearts Neko Hello Board!
Posting Games, Senseless Threads, Random Poetry, but still follow the basic rules of the forums.

Why is this being gone against now? Why are spam threads being deleted for little reason? I'm not one to stand up to authority, but this is ridiculous.

This is here so we can rammer along about anything we want- as long as it's not inappropriate- and really, I haven't seen much out of order in threads that are being locked.

This one is probably also going to get locked, but I need to get this out. This is the Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages forum. Come on! D8

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Re: What spam is for.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:46 pm »
I agree with you.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:08 pm »
I think threads are getting locked in a tizzy because mod re-elections are coming up.

Maybe if we hold out a bit, it'll all get better?

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:34:58 pm »
I've been noticing it too and I completely agree.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:47:59 pm »
OMG, AGREED.
=3
S- Silly
P- Pointless
A- Arrogant
M- Mice

Tee hee. <3

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:04:35 am »
The spoons will revolt!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:09:38 am »
The SPAM section is supposed to be unmoderated, except in instances of violence. Any moderator who acts in here is doing the opposite of their job.

Offline I Future Trunks I

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:50 am »
uhuh... either way...
Super
Pan-Dimensional
Alien
Mutants
MY COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09!
 MAH COSPLAYS FOR KCON '09
Toshiro Hitsugaya FROM BLEACH
Teen Sora from KINGDOM HEARTS
Mirai no Trunks from Doragon Ball Zetto
AND..of course... Lan Hikari from Megaman NT warrior!

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:30 pm »
/s/pontaneous
/p/huckin
/a/rmadillo
/m/ustard

but yeah! all them spam thread lockin' is ridunkulous! I agree with this thread!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 03:59:12 pm »
Madness?!  This is the SPAM forums!!!!!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:30:41 pm »

This is MADNESS!

ah man I couldn't help myself.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:38:01 pm »
I don't think topics should be locked for no reason but when you are making 1000 of topics ever second....it gets annoying. You really don't need to make a topic that only you will post the first post and no one else will respond. As for one about someones backpack (sorry I can't remember) I didn't think that needed to get locked

But that whole little spoon war thingy....that was ridiculous. x.x

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:36:54 am »
I agree that the spoon war was rather ridiculous...But, it seems like Patrick had good intentions. I mean, do we really need 20 topics saying to post your randomness here, when there's boards like the Say almost Anything We Want To?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:04:33 am »
dont stop patrick we need you!!!

bottom line lots of times peeps make new threads that are the same as a preexisting thread and that is just clutter,
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 09:06:24 am »
I agree with Jaz... A lot of people would be sad if you left the forums Patrick!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 11:40:59 am »
well note that "say whatever you want" thread is more like a random comment threads, not a random conversation thread.
it would be nice to have a thread where you can talk about whatever and not have to stay on topic either.  and those types of threads there isn't really any redunant ones since they have a different topic and different flow and what not.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:45:58 am by Seraph »

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
FINE. I give up. All of you can do whatever you want, make as many threads as you want and run these forums into the ground. I try to keep things nice so that everything has a place and that new people (and people who care) will enjoy the forums. But you guys just go ahead do whatever you want and turn this whole place into complete and total madness.

People have been enjoying the forums, of what I know. I'm okay with how you moderate, and in fact, I'm happy that you do, but telling people to stay on-topic in this place is what I don't really understand. Like when you told the spoon castle forum to stay on-topic, when there isn't really much of a topic aside from discussing... whatever is currently being discussed? Or deleting forums with the reason that 'this does not deserve a thread'.
I agree with Tanis, rather; That these forums should be mostly unmoderated, aside from when harassment, threats, or such things occur. We do need moderators for that, or for other boards.

On redundant threads, these happen in every forum, and I usually see them ignored.

If there is some real reason that we should be worried about for the locking of threads, like... I dunno how forums run, but space issues of some sort? If there are problems like that, we should be told flat-out so we can take senseless conversations elsewhere. Or, you could wipe everything from page 3 every once in a while.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 09:18:02 pm »
Well in the code of conduct it is stated that:

No Spamming
Don’t consistently post one word posts, single sentences, or posts that exist only to increase your post count. Spamming makes it very hard to determine if posts are legitimate, or the work of bots or others outside the Kumoricon community who wish to mess with the boards. Not only that, but spamming can quickly lead to thread high jacking or annoyed posters.

Yeah this is the spam forum but still it is annoying posters for making thousands of posts for no reason.

also the description of this board is:
Posting Games, Senseless Threads, Random Poetry, but still follow the basic rules of the forums. Altonimbus is not liable for the content posted in this forum.

I want to emphasize the "still follow the basic rules of the forums." I think that most of it can be unmoderated but if a few people complain about others behavior then action needs to be taken.

So I might suggest that everyone really READ the code of conduct.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:20:04 pm by Mr_Mustash »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 09:19:56 pm »
GOD DAMN IT PATRICK >_<
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:20:13 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 09:30:37 pm »
By definition, that no spamming rule would have some of the games locked as they have people posting only one word and would could very well be considered existed to increase one's post count.
it would likely be better to loosen that rule from single posts to threads.

IMHO, making a lot of senseless redunant threads like during spoon war is amusing, fun, fine.  to a certain point.  too many of them or for exceedly long periods of time, then I feel it needs to stop.  Exactly where its too much would be the hard part to figure.

It may be best to have seperate code of conduct for this board as the as those codes are meant for non games, senseful threads, non random discussion.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »
I still believe that the spam forum should be an exception to the 'no spamming' rule =/

I don't think posters can get 'annoyed' by consistent one-sentence posts if that is the basis of the topic or forum. It say in that rule that you should not consistently post one-sentence posts, yet you two are. Many threads in here do that. (if someone is constantly posting posts after their own, with no one replying in between though, that's another thing...)

If people do complain though, sure, action can be taken. But complaining that one forum is annoying, when you can stay out of it... eh. If one person is posting constant threads, then sure, action can be taken.
By 'follow the basic rules', it probably was meaning more the rules like not having anything inappropriate, or harassment, etc etc.

And I forget if it's this forum or what, but isn't it that posts in spam aren't counted on your post count? (Edit; yeah, they aren't. So 'making posts that exist only to increase your post count' shouldn't be a reason to be against posters.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:36:37 pm by Hazuza »

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 09:35:47 pm »
the board still counts where your posts are in this board if you look in your profile.  various people have boosted about having huge number of posts in this board

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 09:37:26 pm »
the board still counts where your posts are in this board if you look in your profile.  various people have boosted about having huge number of posts in this board

Ahh...

Ehhh xD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »
If you really want to keep this up then by all means do it. Don't be pissed when you get banned for breaking the rules, because at this rate that is what is going to happen. Even if it is in the spam forum it clearly states that you have to follow the code of conduct and it seems like everyone is posting in the spoon kingdom just to become the number one topic in the board. That kind of talking should be saved for a chat room or IM and if you really want to do it then from what I understand it is easy to make your OWN forum. Then you can post whatever you like whenever you like.

But as of now you are breaking the code of conduct.

I still believe that the spam forum should be an exception to the 'no spamming' rule =/

I don't think posters can get 'annoyed' by consistent one-sentence posts if that is the basis of the topic or forum. It say in that rule that you should not consistently post one-sentence posts, yet you two are. Many threads in here do that. (if someone is constantly posting posts after their own, with no one replying in between though, that's another thing...)

If people do complain though, sure, action can be taken. But complaining that one forum is annoying, when you can stay out of it... eh. If one person is posting constant threads, then sure, action can be taken.
By 'follow the basic rules', it probably was meaning more the rules like not having anything inappropriate, or harassment, etc etc.

And I forget if it's this forum or what, but isn't it that posts in spam aren't counted on your post count? (Edit; yeah, they aren't. So 'making posts that exist only to increase your post count' shouldn't be a reason to be against posters.)

I did complain during the spoon war and everyone was telling me that that was what the spam forum was for. So I  asked for people to stop and they practically spat in my face....now that is flat out rude.

for reference http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=8213.0
some were nice about it but a few were extremely rude
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:44:07 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 09:48:44 pm »
@Mustash
I did not state any names.  Nor did I bash any such person, merely stating that they could be considered to be breaking the rules.

@Nikki
I do not see how the spoon thread in particular is against the rules.  IMO, saying it should belongs to IM, chatroom, or our own message board; sounds very much like saying all of the "how to I make ____ cosplay?" threads in the cosplay board belongs on cosplay.com or another cosplay website.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:53:01 pm by Seraph »

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 09:54:06 pm »
I did complain during the spoon war and everyone was telling me that that was what the spam forum was for. So I  asked for people to stop and they practically spat in my face....now that is flat out rude.

I wasn't really around while the 'spoon war' was happening, but I do find it ridiculous that they were constantly making new threads, and I'm sorry for what happened to you =/
I just said that if one person is constantly making threads, for whatever reason, than I'm all for action being taken.
If the spoon forum is just trying to be the best thread that there is, well... Heck, deal with that however you want I guess. Telling them to stay on-topic is kind of indirect though, if they meant to tell them to stop being competitive? I agree too that they do a lot that can be discussed in a chatroom, though I guess they do that because they like being able to have it as a forum, and like being able to have posts there whenever, unlike in an IM service. Heck, I'm not them though, so I can't really argue for them.

If I am breaking the code of conduct, the only thing I can see this for is because I am voicing my opinion. I am not trying to directly disrespect mustash, the mods, you, or anyone else. I said that I like how Mustash moderates, but I disagree with a few things, and I am giving suggestions, not demands. I am not trying to directly harass anyone. I am not spamming, I am not being inappropriate.

If I do get banned simply for this thread, well then...

It is a sad day for the Kumoricon forums.

--

I do not appreciate you directly bashing me.
I can't tell when you're being serious anymore xuo;
Though he said various people, not any names in particular... I don't even remember any times when you bragged about your post count, although I'm not here very often.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:57:12 pm by Hazuza »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
seeing how the spoon thing is a personal thing involving a few people but asking how to make a cosplay is directly related to kumoricon....so that comment made no sense. The spoon cosplay topic is related to kumoricon, asking how to make a cosplay is related to kumoricon

My main problem isn't the spoon castle or what ever it was the war that was going on so I really have no more complaints since it has ended.....as long as it doesn't happen again.

though I think if someone complains then you should take their complaint into consideration and not just shut them down.

and no you wont get banned for this....you aren't breaking the code of conduct in this topic I was referring to other topics.

I personally really enjoy being on the forums and would like to drop this argument but I would like for people to take request and complaints into consideration.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »
@Nikki
first off, let me say I'm sorry for my conduct in your request for the new threads to stop. 

The spoon thread often discuss convention plans as well.  its somewhat similar to the cosplay groups that have threads in the cosplay board.  However, since it can take a more random turn in topics, its fits better in the spam forums.  There is also the fact that all of the spoons are anime fans and fans of the kumori con as well.
as for cosplay, IMO, cosplay construction is only indirectly related to kumori con which is why I made the comparison so we have a difference of opinions.

And as far as I can tell, there will not be any more rapid creation of many senseless threads(at least, by the spoons).  That was a part of the agreement the spoons made with Mustash.