Author Topic: Star Trek fans listen up  (Read 7844 times)

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
Star Trek fans listen up
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:38 am »
popwatch.ew.com

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/11/star-trek-first.html

a image of the new Enterprise for J.J. Abrams movie Star Trek and I want to hear from you what do you think?

Update:

Even though I knew the new trailer came out yesterday but kalira gave me a heads up on so thanks kalira. Also the star trek website is updated. Here is the link sorry I put it in the wrong spot.

www.startrekmovie.com
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:57:29 am by DevinShadowV »

Offline kalira

• Chibi
Re: Star Trek fans listen up
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:06:07 pm »
I have a feeling I am going to OMG love this movie or hate it.  My feelings thus far.

Young Kirk: Looks good.
Young Spock: In most shots I have seen looks good, in others I just see syler.
Young McCoy: Meh. Does not look right.
Young Sulu: Come on.... Kumar?  This is not a trip to white castle and I do not think he will be good for this role.
New look for the enterprise: Fantasmical.  Still looks like a constellation class ship should and I do not think the update took away from that. 

Plot: I have not even seen a trailer yet other then the one with Spock's voice in the background and the ship being build so it is hard to say. 

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »
I have a feeling I am going to OMG love this movie or hate it.  My feelings thus far.

Young Kirk: Looks good.
Young Spock: In most shots I have seen looks good, in others I just see syler.
Young McCoy: Meh. Does not look right.
Young Sulu: Come on.... Kumar?  This is not a trip to white castle and I do not think he will be good for this role.
New look for the enterprise: Fantasmical.  Still looks like a constellation class ship should and I do not think the update took away from that. 

Plot: I have not even seen a trailer yet other then the one with Spock's voice in the background and the ship being build so it is hard to say. 

The teaser is already out but there is a countdown clock for the official trailer in 3 days something hours, minutes
here www.startrekmovie.com if you already know. But yeah I know what you mean.

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:04:13 pm »
Simon Pegg is Scotty!  I love Simon, he's so awesome.

Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite movies ever.
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:32:28 pm »
I LoVe Winona Ryder. (Regardless of her past....) Im not a super huge Star Trek fan (dont shoot me)  but David is to a scary level, LOL. I cant wait to see a new movie with her in it. I think this movie will either be really good, or really bad. Only time will tell. :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:47 pm »
There's no way I'd miss this. In fact the first fanfic I beta'd was an epic 90+-page Spock/Data slash (during Pan Farr, of course).

I enjoy Zach Quinto, so that will be fun. Just saw How to Lose Friends & Influence People, so it'll be interesting to compare Simon Pegg performances. Of note is he was better in The Good Night, with Danny Devito, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Penelope Cruz, which is about lucid dreaming (and somewhat helpful on the subject actually).

It would've been a fun nod to Heroes if Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura on Heroes) had been Sulu. Given that his Heroes dad, the recently-gay-married-yay!! George Takei, was Sulu! (How awesome it would be to get him at a con!)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:32:24 pm »
I'm the eternal optimist, so I'm excited to see this movie. I'd see it just for Zachary Quinto- who looks awsome as spock! And Eric Bana does not look like Eric Bana in the makeup- which was a pleasant surprise to me that he's in the movie. And then Simon Pegg is in it! About John Cho, so a stoner comedy is his most well-known role- the true test of how good an actor is how versatile they are as well as how convincing. I'm confident that he'll be a great Sulu!

So needless to say, I'm probably going to see it.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:36:54 am »
Haven't read I am Spock, but I have looked into some of the stuff floating around out there about how Orthodox, Chassidic, and Qabbalistic Judaism shaped the show!
Roddenberry and Nimoy were quite religious Jews, amongst others; even T'Pau was Jewish, not to mention the namesake of the '80s band that produced my favorite-ever one-hit wonder song, "Heart & Soul"!

Most famously, 'live long & prosper' and the Vulcan salute were based on the congregational blessing by the Cohanim at Nimoy's Orthodox Shul from childhood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1d83XOORP0

Jewish characters throughout the Star Trek universe:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Judaism

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:44:37 am by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 09:44:39 am »
new trailer for it shown before the new bond movie.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:56 am »
well it is directed by JJ Abrams...who tends to do lots of action I believe.

they also trying to broaden its appeal by making it "action-packed" and having little to no "technobabble" from what I read.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 04:11:43 pm »
Simon Pegg is Scotty!  I love Simon, he's so awesome.

Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite movies ever.

I need to see that movie but I did see shawn of the dead and I loved it and his other works.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 04:13:37 pm »
I LoVe Winona Ryder. (Regardless of her past....) Im not a super huge Star Trek fan (dont shoot me)  but David is to a scary level, LOL. I cant wait to see a new movie with her in it. I think this movie will either be really good, or really bad. Only time will tell. :)

I'm with ya because I'm not a super star trek fan or Trekes if I'm saying it right but the trailer is coming out tomorrow.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 04:16:07 pm »
There's no way I'd miss this. In fact the first fanfic I beta'd was an epic 90+-page Spock/Data slash (during Pan Farr, of course).

I enjoy Zach Quinto, so that will be fun. Just saw How to Lose Friends & Influence People, so it'll be interesting to compare Simon Pegg performances. Of note is he was better in The Good Night, with Danny Devito, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Penelope Cruz, which is about lucid dreaming (and somewhat helpful on the subject actually).

It would've been a fun nod to Heroes if Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura on Heroes) had been Sulu. Given that his Heroes dad, the recently-gay-married-yay!! George Takei, was Sulu! (How awesome it would be to get him at a con!)

I saw the image of the new Enterprise and it's starting to grow on me but I don't know.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 04:17:35 pm »
I'll be there all day opening day seeing it as much as possible... but I'm still one of the skeptics... I grew up watching TOS and the first 6 movies with my Dad. To me no one could replace the original cast of the look of the Enterprise (no matter how crappy it looked).

I don't know if any of you have read "I am Spock" by Leonard Nimoy but in it he greatly describes how even now Spock is still a part of him. He was always my favorite character in the series and I really hope that they don't totally stir the pudding on this one...

My parents were growing up with TOS and my brother and myself were grow up with TNG but I did see the original show.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 04:20:12 pm »
Haven't read I am Spock, but I have looked into some of the stuff floating around out there about how Orthodox, Chassidic, and Qabbalistic Judaism shaped the show!
Roddenberry and Nimoy were quite religious Jews, amongst others; even T'Pau was Jewish, not to mention the namesake of the '80s band that produced my favorite-ever one-hit wonder song, "Heart & Soul"!

Most famously, 'live long & prosper' and the Vulcan salute were based on the congregational blessing by the Cohanim at Nimoy's Orthodox Shul from childhood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1d83XOORP0

Jewish characters throughout the Star Trek universe:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Judaism

I watched the youtube stuff and I was oh I didn't know about that I have nothing against religion or anything like that it's just I didn't know and it was intersting that it was used for so long and now it's getting some information about it.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 04:21:08 pm »
new trailer for it shown before the new bond movie.

I saw the new bond film and there was no trek trailer.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 04:22:09 pm »
well it is directed by JJ Abrams...who tends to do lots of action I believe.

they also trying to broaden its appeal by making it "action-packed" and having little to no "technobabble" from what I read.

We all got to remember the film takes place right before the five year mission gets started.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 12:37:07 am »
Np Devin, thanks for checking it out.
Maybe there are multiple prints of the Bond film and the trailer is only being released in certain markets or certain movie chains? Mellonemrys works at Regal, she might know.

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:09 pm »
New trailer has been release and it make me all tingly inside.  This is going to be a great film!

http://www.startrekmovie.com/ <- Quicktime required.... BOOO  but worth it to watch the new trailer.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:37:27 am »
Np Devin, thanks for checking it out.
Maybe there are multiple prints of the Bond film and the trailer is only being released in certain markets or certain movie chains? Mellonemrys works at Regal, she might know.

I saw the new bond film but no trek trailer.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:39 am »
New trailer has been release and it make me all tingly inside.  This is going to be a great film!

http://www.startrekmovie.com/ <- Quicktime required.... BOOO  but worth it to watch the new trailer.

I know I saw it online with it came on and plus I downloaded it to my ipod nano the trailer looks interesting.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 08:54:22 am »
popwatch.ew.com

a image of the new Enterprise for J.J. Abrams movie Star Trek and I want to hear from you what do you think?

Update:

Even though I knew the new trailer came out yesterday but kalira gave me a heads up on so thanks kalira. Also the star trek website is updated. Here is the link

www.startrekmovie.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:31 pm »
Trailer 1 didn't do much for me, but I liked Trailer 2.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:14:46 am »
I was never a big star trek fan but I think I will see this movie.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 09:41:07 am »
(@ DevinShadowV, mod your posts next time dont add the spam  ;D)

my dad was the biggest star track fan, I wonder how he is taking the up coming release of this, he had an autographed pic of deforrest kelly
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 03:04:45 pm »

my dad was the biggest star track fan, I wonder how he is taking the up coming release of this, he had an autographed pic of deforrest kelly

what do you mean don't add a spam? I'm just new here on the forums and still trying to figure out what's this and this.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 05:38:38 pm »

what do you mean don't add a spam? I'm just new here on the forums and still trying to figure out what's this and this.

Hey, superjaz, I think DevinShadowV doesn't know how to use the insert quote function within his post.

DevinShadowV - My first suggestion is to select All as your viewing choice for the thread.  Now when you want to quote someone, you can perform the first quote as you have been doing, but the next quote place inside the same post.  This is done by scrolling down below the window you are typing in  There should be a table called Topic Summary that contains every post in the thread!  On the right side of every post is a link entitled insert quote  Just click on it and that post will be inserted into your post with the name of the original poster, the date & time they posted it placed at the top and placed in it's own nice little box.  You can then start typing more stuff below the quote.

Quotes are created using that niffty text in brackets. These are called tags.  There is an opening tag and a closing tag  closing tags have the '/' in them.  That ought to help a little.  It is also possible to put a quote inside of another quote.  Just make sure that the opening tag and closing tag are in the correct places.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:51:29 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 09:56:23 pm »
Why did they give Wynona Ryder the part of Spock's mom? Isnt she a little too young and HOT to play this part...let alone its a small part....*Cries*

Still going to see it, now out of compleate curiosity
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »

Go Vulcan death grip! Zachary Quinto looks awsome ;D.

So many awsome movies in 2009. First Watchman, now the new Star Trek ^_^.

To Devin, yes, for the sake of my eyes, PLEASE use the "Insert Quote" button. It'll streamline your posts and make them look nicer- something like this~

Why did they give Wynona Ryder the part of Spock's mom? Isnt she a little too young and HOT to play this part...let alone its a small part....*Cries*

Still going to see it, now out of compleate curiosity

I didn't know Wynona was playing Spock's mother. That's going to be interesting...

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 07:03:16 pm »
popwatch.ew.com

Update:

Even though I knew the new trailer came out yesterday but kalira gave me a heads up on so thanks kalira. Also the star trek website is updated. Here is the link sorry I put it in the wrong spot.

www.startrekmovie.com

Hey, superjaz, I think DevinShadowV doesn't know how to use the insert quote function within his post.

DevinShadowV - My first suggestion is to select All as your viewing choice for the thread.  Now when you want to quote someone, you can perform the first quote as you have been doing, but the next quote place inside the same post.  This is done by scrolling down below the window you are typing in  There should be a table called Topic Summary that contains every post in the thread!  On the right side of every post is a link entitled insert quote  Just click on it and that post will be inserted into your post with the name of the original poster, the date & time they posted it placed at the top and placed in it's own nice little box.  You can then start typing more stuff below the quote.

Quotes are created using that niffty text in brackets. These are called tags.  There is an opening tag and a closing tag  closing tags have the '/' in them.  That ought to help a little.  It is also possible to put a quote inside of another quote.  Just make sure that the opening tag and closing tag are in the correct places.  ;D

Can you give me an example because I'm lost?

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 08:24:57 pm »
Interesting stuff DevinShadowV is writing in his post

My whitty reply to his post
Some stuff that superjaz wrote in her post
Another whitty reply by me.
HEY A POST WITHIN A POST!! COOL!!
An example of a post within another post.

Click the Quote box next to this post, then study the placement of the tags (the things in the square brackets).  You should be able to figure it out from that.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 05:19:12 pm »

Click the Quote box next to this post, then study the placement of the tags (the things in the square brackets).  You should be able to figure it out from that.

oh I think I get it now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:24:12 pm by DevinShadowV »

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 05:21:40 pm »
@AnimeMatrix
a lot of major movies have been moved to the summer of 2009.  including Harry Potter.

Offline DevinShadowV

• Sailor Scout
    • Professional accout
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »

oh I think I get it now.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 11:15:45 pm »

oh I think I get it now.

Now don't abuse the quote button ^_^.

The other day when I went to see "Quantum of Solace," there was a poster of Zachary Quinto as Spock... I so wanted to tear it off the wall.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:58:19 pm by AnimeMatrix »

Offline Cpl. Slicks

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 08:48:56 pm »
Personally, I've already given it a nickname, as I tend to do for all Trek movies. I came up with this one right after reading the cast:

"Harold and Shaun Go to the Neutral Zone"

Needless to say, I'm going in with a very looow expectation. But it will look pretty...

For reference, the Rest of the Trek movie renames are as follows:

"Star Trek: the Pajama Party"
"Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan" (This one was good enough, it doesn't need a rename, one of three in the series to hold that honor)
"Star Trek III: the Search For Spock"
"Star Trek IV: the Search For Whales"
"Star Trek V: the Search For God"
"Star Trek VI: the Apology... For Star Trek V"
"Star Trek: Geriatrics"
"Star Trek: First Contact"
"Star Trek: Misdirection"
"Jean-Luc the Vampire Slayer"

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 10:59:31 pm »
Personally, I've already given it a nickname, as I tend to do for all Trek movies. I came up with this one right after reading the cast:

"Harold and Shaun Go to the Neutral Zone"

Needless to say, I'm going in with a very looow expectation. But it will look pretty...

For reference, the Rest of the Trek movie renames are as follows:

"Star Trek: the Pajama Party"
"Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan" (This one was good enough, it doesn't need a rename, one of three in the series to hold that honor)
"Star Trek III: the Search For Spock"
"Star Trek IV: the Search For Whales"
"Star Trek V: the Search For God"
"Star Trek VI: the Apology... For Star Trek V"
"Star Trek: Geriatrics"
"Star Trek: First Contact"
"Star Trek: Misdirection"
"Jean-Luc the Vampire Slayer"

Yes dear- I know you won't have very high expectations... but you know I'm still going to make you see it ^_^.