Author Topic: Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth Tv Show?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth Tv Show?
« on: November 14, 2008, 04:17:25 pm »
So Ive been reading the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth fantasy novels since High School. I was super skeptical that they were making it a TV show even if Terry Goodkind was working personally on the scripts...I have to say I was deeply dissapointed in the show. The name of the series is The Legend of the Seeker, and to me Kahlan's character is SOOOOOO off it is just wrong.

www.legendoftheseeker.com

Does anyone else share my pain?  :)
Does anyone absolultly LOVE the show?  :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth Tv Show?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »
the show is almost like a xena spin off, with all the peeps in it

its kinda what they did to the dresden books
which shows for every 1 well done adaptation (true blood much to my delight) well...yeah
as a show its fine but as based on a book ...yeah
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:24:49 pm »
My fiancee and I are both readers of the series. I've only read through Wizard's First Rule, but Kahlan (my fiancee) has been reading the books since middle school, so the show is even more of a slap in the face to her than it is to me. We are still going to continue watching the show because we need to see how badly they misconstrue the books, but yeah, we're terribly disappointed with it and can't fathom the idea that Terry Goodkind is actually associated with the show. It's just.....they made so many basic mistakes! Darken Rahl has blond hair. They gave him black! Kahlan has green eyes. They gave her hazel or blue or something not green! It's just.....such basic simple stuff.

Anyway, yeah, the show is a typical fantasy show, totally cheesy and lame with tons of filler and it doesn't follow the storyline of the book in any way, really. I don't approve, but I'll keep watching.

(And if you think this rant is bad, just wait until Kahlan sees this thread!  :o )

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:17:06 pm »
I tend to shy away form TV shows based on books. They always screw it up. Judging from my roommates reaction to the ads, this one was done badly.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 04:54:16 pm »
*braces self* *takes deep breath...*

so, i've been reading these books since middle school, so, late 1990's. i have a really deep connection with them and love them to pieces, hence my forum name and the sword of truth tattooed on my left wrist (sleeve work in progress for that arm and other tat's planned) but anyway, there's my background with the books.

i heard the series was being made at least a year ago and was already skeptical. i mean, in my eyes, there isn't really anyone in existence that matches any character from those books. they're so detailed and intricate, it would be hard for anyone to match the characters or come close to telling the story accurately in movie form, much less a tv show. so there was that. then they posted the cast listing and i almost died. no one was even remotely close.... then came trailers and more disappointment, but at that point, it was just funny. frustrating, but funny. i knew this was gonna be bad from the start, but wow...

watching the first episode... that was painful. i think the only thing they used from the books were the character names and some place names. other than that, they took it upon themselves to re-write the entire story. and to include a million things that didn't happen and were completely unnecessary. like eve-fiance said, kahlan has green eyes. GREEN. how hard is that? it's called contacts... among other things, they f-ed up her dress even though the books describe it countless times, her hair isn't long enough, nor the right color. that's just the tip of the iceberg on all they've screwed up in the show. plus, the acting is awful. typical of those shows, but still. to have the name "wizard's first rule" or "sword of truth" associated in any way is sickening... i hope goodkind didn't actually approve of this and have anything to do with it. seems he would be the type to want any film adaptation to stick to the original story as close as possible.

*deep breath* yeah, sorry, this is long, but this series is so near and dear to me that i could probably write a novel length rant about this *sigh* so, eve-fiance and i are watching it every week just for laughs, though it is still frustrating. you know it's bad when the special "making of" is hosted by the chick that played xena... anyway, there is much more to be said, but to sum it up, the show is awful and i feel such regret for anyone watching it who hasn't read the books; they're going to think the story is terrible and never pick up a book in the series, which is unfortunate.... eve-fiance and i actually have thought about making a web site filled with all the discrepancies and such between the books and the show to try to encourage the reading of the books and the ignoring of the show. *sigh* sorry for the long reply -end rant- ... for the moment...

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:56:01 pm »
I compleatly agree with the above posts. I watched the first few episodes fully knowing that there was no way they could capture "my vision" from the books description. I saw the cast list and thought 'we'll see". Then I saw how sexy they made Kahlan and I was pissed off. I Read on Terry Goodkinds website that he was happy to work with (get this) Sam Rami and Disney to make the show work. Disney???? UH What? There are MANY moments in the novels that arent "family friendly" Or even close. Bad pick there.

I initially read that Terry Goodkind was excited to embelish his storyline by creating content for each episode. He said something along the lines of "It will give the story more depth, etc." I wanted to have high hopes. I really did.

In the last couple months I hooked David on the series and he has devoured the first book and wanted to watch the show more than me. He too was repulsed. It just felt like a slap in the face.

This is his message to the readers when he announced the show. And I read it with high hopes.
http://terrygoodkind.com/news/news2.html
After watching it, I feel let down.
Regardless, nothing will make the books hold a sour taste in my mouth. Bad Tv series, or no, I LOVE the Sword of Truth novels.
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 06:24:23 pm »
I didn't know that this has started airing yet... But now I don't know if I want to watch it... This is also up on my list of favorite book series and I have to see it ruined...

Amazing!!  Mr Mustash and I agree on something.   :)  I also enjoyed the books,  I made the mistake of reading them at the same time as Robert Jordan's (may he rest in peace) 'Wheel of Time' series.  Is it just me, or are there a number of plot line parallels between these two series?  I kind of stopped my reading of both, because I get my books from Sci-Fi Book Club.  I just realized today, that they no longer sell Goodkind's books on SFBC, so I am missing all the ones after "Naked Empire".  I need to go find them.  I also was dissapointed in the The Dresden Files show and the Legend of Earthsea mini-series.  I am especially upset that because of the Legend of Earthsea mini-series Studio Ghibli can't release their animated movie "Tales from Earthsea" until the licensing rights expire sometime next year.  I wonder if they will release it as a double set with Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea?
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 09:28:44 pm »
the Legend of Earthsea mini-series.  I am especially upset that because of the Legend of Earthsea mini-series Studio Ghibli can't release their animated movie "Tales from Earthsea" until the licensing rights expire sometime next year.  I wonder if they will release it as a double set with Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea?

I wonder how good it is, ursal wasn't happy with it

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:57:53 pm »
I wonder how good it is, ursal wasn't happy with it
Maybe if she had let Hayao direct it when he wanted to, sooooo many years ago, it would have turned out better.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 07:12:30 pm »
I compleatly agree with the above posts. I watched the first few episodes fully knowing that there was no way they could capture "my vision" from the books description. I saw the cast list and thought 'we'll see". Then I saw how sexy they made Kahlan and I was pissed off. I Read on Terry Goodkinds website that he was happy to work with (get this) Sam Rami and Disney to make the show work. Disney???? UH What? There are MANY moments in the novels that arent "family friendly" Or even close. Bad pick there.

I initially read that Terry Goodkind was excited to embelish his storyline by creating content for each episode. He said something along the lines of "It will give the story more depth, etc." I wanted to have high hopes. I really did.

In the last couple months I hooked David on the series and he has devoured the first book and wanted to watch the show more than me. He too was repulsed. It just felt like a slap in the face.

This is his message to the readers when he announced the show. And I read it with high hopes.
http://terrygoodkind.com/news/news2.html
After watching it, I feel let down.
Regardless, nothing will make the books hold a sour taste in my mouth. Bad Tv series, or no, I LOVE the Sword of Truth novels.

i did the same thing when i heard it was being done by disney. i was like "oh, well, there goes the entire story..." and look, there it went...

and to read that letter from goodkind... yeah, that's pretty disheartening. i wonder how much he actually had to do with any of the series. it's just too simplistic to be associated with him, and way to chopped up. i mean, the last new episode where richard goes to brennidon (when did that place suddenly come to exist...) was completely unnecessary and was so random and all over the place that it didn't really make much sense... i could go on, but i won't cause it will just never end *heavy sigh*

i am glad to see that there are other goodkind fans on the forums, though, and that all of them so far have been as disgusted with the show as i have been. it's good to finally know there are other fans of the books out there that have a deep connection with them like i do :) just sucks that this stupid show is what brought every one together into a thread, lol.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:07:03 pm »
maybe he is a xena fan?
it would explain a lot

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 06:32:26 am »
maybe he is a xena fan?
it would explain a lot

certainly would explain a lot... >.<

i went to barnes and noble yesterday and they have already put out "wizard's first rule" with a new cover featuring a photo from legend of the seeker and proclaiming the book as the basis for the show. *dies inside*

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »
maybe he is a xena fan?
it would explain a lot

certainly would explain a lot... >.<

i went to barnes and noble yesterday and they have already put out "wizard's first rule" with a new cover featuring a photo from legend of the seeker and proclaiming the book as the basis for the show. *dies inside*

the worst thing is that they have had the new covers out for a couple months now. To build Hype....I hope they dont remake ALL the books and make it difficult to find the non corrupted covers...LOL
Onyxspider@gmail.com