Author Topic: Experiment ideas for Ecological Systems class? Please help!  (Read 2291 times)

oslapedo

Experiment ideas for Ecological Systems class? Please help!
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »
Thanks to my hard core procrastinating I know have to do about 100 different homework assignments tonight. First I'm working on an experiment proposal for my Ecological Systems class but I never came up with one and at the moment my brain is screaming at me. If anyone knows of any good experiments I'd love to hear them! :D,,,

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
Re: Experiment ideas for Ecological Systems class? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »
I would need to know more about the class.  As far as ecology.  Hmm...  Change in the migration habits of the Monarch butterfly?  Spotted Owls are always popular.    Um alternative "green" fuels.  Using methane as a fuel source.  Using corn as a fuel source.

Um... talk to Mr_Mustash & RemSaverem about the effects of logging on the environment.   ;D  I would advise standing back when those two get going.  ::)  No really, stand back,  farther,  a little farther.. Yeah, I don't think any thrown objects can reach you here.

Anything to do with the effects of the Portland waterways on local sealife.  Changes in chemical content of water due to pollution.  A comparison of "treated" drinking water and normal water pulled from the river.  Similar tests done on air quality. I suppose that is a start.  Any help?
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »
Oooh that was all very helpful! So maybe I'll do the effects of logging on the enviroment...

Thank you :)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:43:12 pm »
How about fish tank pollution? How long of not changing the water before the fish up and dies? One goldfish, one bowl, simple and easy to perform!

I think this as I didn't get this done today at my house. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, sigh.

Oh, and how about the growth rates between houseplants that you water with used fish tank water, to houseplants that you water using fresh tap water? In case you don't want to make a fish sad and depressed.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:45:59 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:34:08 pm »
You could see how tomato plants grow depending on the amount of acid in the water.

That's what I did for a science project in 7th grade. >.>
"Would you kindly. ."

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »
So I've been doing some research on logging in Oregon and I've found out that the northern spotted owls are endangered because of it. I'm getting so into this. I was thinking about hosting a Walk-a-thon in my county and I think I might want to do it to benefit the northern spotted owls now.

They're so cute! It breaks my heart that their population is dwindling </3

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:32:08 pm »
Don't forget about the non-native owls that are coming in and kicking their butts all over the place, taking their territory, eating their mice. I saw it on Oregon Field Guide.
Have Fun

Jay

oslapedo

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:38:06 pm »
I heard about that! Damned barred owls :D

Sometimes the barred owls and the northern spotted owls breed with them so the remaining northern spotted owl blood gets dilluted even more xD,

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:56:38 pm »
Looks like I'm two for two.  Spotted owls and logging were both suggestions I made.  YEA ME!  ;D  I'm surprised I haven't heard from Mustash or Rem on this thread yet.  I think both would be valuable resources on these topics.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

oslapedo

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »
Thank you for shining the light of spotted owls into my life! :D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:36:23 pm »
I lost a job once for spotted owls. Closed the mill down, no trees available. Am I bitter, no, that was the hardest physical job I ever had. It was like 8 hours of aerobics classes. I was eating 4 full meals a day, drinking 2 gallons of water per day, and I still lost 20 pounds the first month.
Have Fun

Jay