Author Topic: Do you ever lose your life's focus?  (Read 2556 times)

u2205

Do you ever lose your life's focus?
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »
I just don't know what I'm doing anymore... I guess that's one of the reasons I got my piercings, just to do something different... I know I was born to do something amazing with Computers and my current track in life is going to get me there but I just don't know anymore. I know that I could be an amazing programmer at any company right now, but I just have to go through the seemingly huge 5 year process to get my degree so that someone will hire me. It just seems so annoying that I have to jump through all of these hoops to get to what I'm meant to do...

I kinda just want to take some time off and travel... I know that's what everyone says, but I just think that I really need to find myself before I can continue with what I want to do...

Sorry if this sounds mostly like rambling... But I just had to get it out ><
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:22:09 am by Mr_Mustash »

oslapedo

Re: Do you ever loose your life's focus?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:58:30 pm »
I feel this a lot and I'm only in high school. Often times I wonder what the point is to the excessive tedium of which we lead our lives around. I don't even know what I want to do with myself after I've received my education and what should my area of focus in school even be?

I hope my muddled phase doesn't last long.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:15 pm »
I have no idea what-so-ever what I'm gonna go to college for... :-[

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »
I have no idea what-so-ever what I'm gonna go to college for... :-[
No worries. Most college kids don't know or they switch majors several times before figuring it out. It's the norm.
Just make sure you explore your options while your in college.
I finally found mine and I'm so happy with the way it's going.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:27:39 pm »
I'm just waiting for something worth waiting for.  =3
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:28:19 pm by CatchxMe »

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:34:23 pm »
That reminds me of the Mulan song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" *_*

I think if I spent less time on the computer I'd be more enthused about life...

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:34:57 pm »
Ah.. to be young and free...  Now I'm old and free.  Just not the same.  I just started going to school again to try a new career path in Computer Network Support.  Iv'e spent most of my life working jobs in manufacturing, and never really being happy.  I have always loved working with computers, although programming them was never my idea of fun.  Putting them together and getting them to run well has been my specialty.  I also like teaching others how to use them.

Mustash, I have a friend who is now about as high up on the list of Network support consulting as you can get.  He works for Fusion Storm as a consultant and works out of his home here in Eugene.  He never went to college.  It's true.  He started at Spectra Physics (now Data Logic) right out of High School, They had an opening in their IT dept. and he got it.  Sent him to Portland to take classes in using Novell / Sun Servers. He stayed with them for the mandatory 2 years then left to work at Pacific Power in Portland.  Worked there for another couple years then got on at a consulting firm in Portland.  About this time he got married.  While working In California  on a consulting job for Verison Wirteless I think it was, the CEO of Symantec met him and offered him a job as their world support tech.  He took it.  He worked for Symantec for what 12 years?  then just recently quit to join Fusion Storm.  Last I knew he was helping Tiger Direct get their east and west branch offices to communicate with each other.  I think he is in his early to mid 30's now and makes more in one month than I do in a year.   :o  (sigh)  I look good in green don't I?
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

oslapedo

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:40:32 pm »
Try social networking with the higher ups in google? Befriend them and take their jobs? =D

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:37 am »
Do what I do  every night. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!! >:D
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:44:32 am »
yeah, google likely only picks the top turds of new grads so make sure you keep your gpa high.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
Re: Do you ever lose your life's focus?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:45 am »
I go through patches of despair and feel like just giving up, it happens more than i would like it to, but you just kinda have to sit through it.
I usually find something that helps thats been there all along... stick with what you are planning on, it feels pointless and painful and like absolute drudgery at first, but eventually you remember why you loved it so much. Stick with it Patrick ^^ I know you are going to be amazing at what you do, even if it feels like its not worth it to take the education right now, it will make you that much more amazing in the future. <3

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 12:33:44 pm »
I think its normal for a long time to lose your lifes focus. I mean when I was a teenager I wanted to be an Archaeologist, it still is my passion. But at the same time I wanted to settle down and have a family which is equally important to me. When I moved out of my parents house it was all "Every thing can be put on hold (except work) and im gonna party!" Its hard to stay driven so young. Im still not compleatly sure what I want to do with my life. I know being a mother is somthing I want to excell at but without having one of my own as a child I have many doubts and worries. I have a great partner so im sure it will be ok. And fun! Archaeology is, like I said, still my passion and someday (after my knowledge matures into total geekdom) I will have my history-driven job, even if it is only in a museum. Im only 23 and I still deal with these feelings all the time. Most Ive talked to didnt even start to figure THEMSELVES out, let alone thier career untill they were 25 or so. I know many in their 30's still in that limbo.

It takes a lot of self discovery and focus to determine your path and to stay there. (Then we all hit our midlife crisis and regress....LOL)

Patrick I think youll be fine. Your a strong computer geek, who DOES have a goal. Thats something most cant bost. And if you need a year to find yourself (this happens AWAY from home lol) than take it. It will only make you stronger. Just dont lose the dream. :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 12:50:11 pm »
Most people are like a falling leaf that drifts and turns in the air, flutters and falls to the ground. But a few others are like stars which travel one defined path; no wind reaches them, they have within themselves their guide and path.
-- Herman Hesse-Siddartha

When I was in high school, I believed that computers were my calling and that its what I was good at so I was going to work with them. But after working for several years in the real world with computers I realized that yes I could do that the rest of my life. But in that time I discovered what it really is that drives me. And because of that I decided to change my focus to teaching. Ive never been more certain and those loops dont feel so much like a pain in the ass, so much as checkpoints on the way to my destiny.

I think when you find your true calling, what it is you really get excited and passionate about you will find that things like obstacles feel less like they are in the way and more something important for your own achievement.