Author Topic: Ritsuka Cosplay Assistance Needed (Eugene/Springfield Peeps)  (Read 16719 times)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
Ritsuka Cosplay Assistance Needed (Eugene/Springfield Peeps)
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:29 pm »
So, I plan to go as Ritsuka for K-con this year, and my fiance is going as Soubi. So we need help on where we could afford the kind of stuff we'd be needing, or where we could even find some of the items. And of course, if anyone else has suggestions on how we could add on/improve, you could let us know-POLITELY.

So, I know these sketches suck, but they were done in less than five minutes, but I need to know where I can buy these Items cheap.
REVISED

I need to probably add a long blond wig to that list....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:34:47 pm by Nekojimei »

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
Re: Ritsuka Cosplay Assistance Needed (Eugene/Springfield Peeps)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »
I have limited funds throughout the year, so bargains and great deals are a must if i don't want to have to learn how to be a super sower in less than a year DX

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:38:50 pm »
So, any and all help would be appriciated

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:58:14 pm »
Ok first of all you can modify your original post instead of typing a new one each time you have something to add. If no one responds that means no one has any advice they can give you.

My best advice would be search ebay.

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:28:47 pm »
Ok, thanks for the tips ^_^

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:35:25 pm »
Two options for the hair color -
1: use your own hair color - it's fairly dark and is close enough to black
2: someone once told me you could make your hair black by putting in black shoe polish. Don't know how easily that comes out, but you could test it...

For the cat ears, to make them match well, try this Civil War style solution - every time you brush your hair, take the hair that gets stuck in the brush and instead of throwing it away, put it into a baggie. After a while, you'll build up enough hair in that blob to form into a pair of pyramids (cat ear shapes). Pour some school glue or modge podge over it to stick it all together. The best part is that the color will be an exact match to your hair color. You could also use the saved hair to test various methods for dying your hair to get the color just right.

Thrift shops and yard sales are great places to obtain free or cheap stuff. Look carefully in the bins - sometimes they even have stuff marked "free".

Consider cutting up a bunch of yard sale stuffed animals for the fur. You can even save the stuffing from the animals to be used for stuffing in the black tail.

If you find items in natural fibers (cotton, silk, etc) then you can easily dye them to the right color if you can't find the right color. You may have to bleach out the color first if the item's starting color is darker than the color you want.

Walmart often sells fabric at $1 or $2 per yard, so consider sewing your costume.

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:08 pm »
Wow! Thank you very much, Runa. ^_^ That sounds more up my ally than E-bay (still a good idea)

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:40:15 am »
uhm...I can tell you what Seimei and I did...

We both have black hair but we bought wigs (just for neatness sake). I sewed our ears and tails. I waited for a 50% coupon to JoAnn's to buy the black fuzzy fabric (I want to say $3-3.99 a yd).  I think I bought a yard and a half but I still have leftover fabric so I guess it was too much.  I used pipe-cleaners to both line edges of the ears to get a more 3D look and as the boning of the tail.  A big package costs like $2.50.  Post if you want instructions on how I sewed the ears and tail.  Clothing...We ended up closeting about half of it (seimei's turtleneck, my shirt underneath, my black/blue jeans). The rest (black pants, blue jacket, fake converse) we got at Goodwill for like $5 an item.  The bandage on my cheek is rippable cloth tape (you can rip a little square for the cheek or I also used it for the bandaging around my upper arm and around my hands, I don't have a Soubi but I'm pretty sure you could use it around the neck for the beloved scarring too); it comes in a roll and is right next to athletic tape at Target (I'm sure other stores would have it too).

Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 08:30:38 pm »
I would definitely like to know how to make the ears and tail- that is my biggest concern. ARound here, it's hard to find good quality ones to just buy as-is

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:30 pm »
Yeah, me and Seimei felt like the stuff sold around here wasn't realistic enough.  The best feeling is when little kids ask if your ears are real ^-^
Materials needed:
-1 yd of fuzzy black fabric (go w/ something kinda plushy)
-pink fabric (you don't need that much just enough for the inside of the ears)
-black pipe-cleaners (less expensive and more flexible than boning)
-scotch tape
-needle and black thread

Tail:  Cut a rectangle of black fabric (the long side should be slightly longer than the length you want your tail & the other side should be around 6-7 inches...)  Take 2 pipe-cleaners and twist them together at the ends.  Cut the length shorter than the long side of the fabric. Make about 5 of these.  These make up the bones of your tail.  Use tape to tape the 5 together covering the part you twisted together and the ends.  Now the important part if you don't want to be poked by pipe-cleaners alot T-T, tape down the ends of the pipe-cleaner bundle to one side of the fabric.  Now roll up the fabric around the pipe cleaners.  When you get to the end it should be the thickness you want your tail.  Sew the fabric shut by hand. If you want to be really neat, fold and tuck in the edges of the fabric before sewing. There are several ways to wear your tail.  I actually sewed velcro to my tail; you could just tuck it into the top of your pants (it will stay if you bend it into the pipe-cleaners<--you can do minor positioning w/ the tail too for the same reason). 

Ears: slightly harder to describe and for you to visualize.  Seimei drew the pattern I used (lol, backs of spiral notebooks work well for pattern paper).  It's like a triangle but w/ rounded corners and curving edges, one of the top sides is longer than the other, and the bottom edge has a slight outward notch towards the shorter side underneath the top point. It's almost 4-5 inches tall.  I then made a second pattern exactly the same but slightly smaller(for the pink part).  Cut two of the larger one in black but remember to flip the pattern over so you don't end up making two right ears (I did on my first try).  Do the same w/ the smaller but in pink. Match up the black and pink ear pieces for each ear.  Take a pipe-cleaner for each ear and bend it to create a "V" and line it up w/ the top point. Trim the length of the pipe-cleaner to make the ear sides(follow the curves). Fold the black around the pipe-cleaner and slightly onto the pink.  Sew the black down over/including/sandwiching the pink. Take the bottom edge and fold up and sew it down.  Yay you now have two 2D ears.  Gently fold the smaller side of the ear forward; use the pipe-cleaner.  It's very slight, but I think it does make a difference in making it look 3D.  From here, I sewed the ears directly onto our wigs, but I believe another way to wear them would to hot-glue them to hair clips, just be careful that you can still open and close the hair clip when you glue it "in place".
Taiwan (APH)

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:22:51 pm »
I would definitely like to know how to make the ears and tail- that is my biggest concern. ARound here, it's hard to find good quality ones to just buy as-is

well i know where you can get the official ones........ there like 4 dollers for the ears and tail dont know about the shipping though

http://www.salesmanb2b.com/index.php/product?id=459
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:40 pm »

well i know where you can get the official ones........ there like 4 dollers for the ears and tail dont know about the shipping though

I'll save the link and see how everything works out.

OH! and I ended up getting a different coat
Here is a picture of the coat:

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »

that's a pretty good price, I didn't like how the ears taper off at the bottom though and the tail seemed kinda short...?
Taiwan (APH)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:08:59 pm »
I will probably make my own- just in case ^_~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:10:37 pm »
For cat ears I am a big fan of the wooden ones they had a sakuracon. Those ears matched my Youji wig perfectly ;D

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:07 pm »
For cat ears I am a big fan of the wooden ones they had a sakuracon. Those ears matched my Youji wig perfectly ;D
Youji as in one of the Zeros?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:30 pm »
Yeah I'm going to go to Sakuracon as him again. We have a loveless group. ;D

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »

I'll save the link and see how everything works out.

Ok well if u see me all be going as ritsuka 2 exept in teh blue coat version :]

OH! and I ended up getting a different coat
Here is a picture of the coat:

Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:27 pm »
Yeah I'm going to go to Sakuracon as him again. We have a loveless group. ;D
Shweet ^_^ the only other Loveless member with me is going to be my fiance as Soubi

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »
Yeah I'll have a Natsuo and a Ritsuka and Soubi ;D

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 04:59:09 pm »
awesome. This year, my group is a Gravitation group. I'll be Shuichi, Tom will be Ryuichi, Ren is Fujisaki, Tim is Yuki, and if my friend Chase is coming, he wants to be K or Hiro

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 05:32:30 pm »
awesome. This year, my group is a Gravitation group. I'll be Shuichi, Tom will be Ryuichi, Ren is Fujisaki, Tim is Yuki, and if my friend Chase is coming, he wants to be K or Hiro
cool i wanted to do shuichi..... but i couldent figure out how to do the coat.... OH WELL :]
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 06:17:31 pm »
I bought an old yellow dress, and some orange material, and gave a picture of the coat to my aunt, and she sewed on the orange for me

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »
I bought an old yellow dress, and some orange material, and gave a picture of the coat to my aunt, and she sewed on the orange for me
Did you cut up the yellow dress or was it just like that?
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 10:25:06 pm »
It was just like that- we did have to take off the buttons though

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:35 pm »
lol, I like noting cosplay character groups (almost like the types in ouran)...I've also cosplayed shuichi but not his stage outfit, just a casual one w/ the orange jacket and khaki's
Taiwan (APH)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:47:07 pm »
that seems to be a popular one ^_^

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »
It was just like that- we did have to take off the buttons though
XD any advice on finding good wigs?
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:30 pm »
well, I cut my hair to shuichi's style, and sprayed it with pink hairspray

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 06:10:02 pm »
well, I cut my hair to shuichi's style, and sprayed it with pink hairspray
does it wash out easy?
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 06:11:14 pm »
not really- use hot water and a lot of shampoo- that's faster than just washing it normally

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 06:13:03 pm »
not really- use hot water and a lot of shampoo- that's faster than just washing it normally
thanks for the info that sounds easy enough :]
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:01 pm »

Cosworx is pretty good and so is Amphigory...but I'm always sad each time I buy a wig cause "there goes another +/- $30." If you are really careful I've found that the wigs sold at Halloween Warehouse on Canyon Rd off highway 217 work pretty well, and they run for $15.  Their selection is limited so you kinda have to be creative in styling.  (*points to self* I have no skills here what-so-ever, so I brought Seimei/Yuki, who helps me style my wigs, to help.)  Be gentle when combing though, these "half-price" wigs shed alot and sometimes have weird bald spots result. Yay, wigcaps. All three of the wigs I got from there still work though.
Taiwan (APH)

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »

Cosworx is pretty good and so is Amphigory...but I'm always sad each time I buy a wig cause "there goes another +/- $30." If you are really careful I've found that the wigs sold at Halloween Warehouse on Canyon Rd off highway 217 work pretty well, and they run for $15.  Their selection is limited so you kinda have to be creative in styling.  (*points to self* I have no skills here what-so-ever, so I brought Seimei/Yuki, who helps me style my wigs, to help.)  Be gentle when combing though, these "half-price" wigs shed alot and sometimes have weird bald spots result. Yay, wigcaps. All three of the wigs I got from there still work though.
XD Thank you for the info :]
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:01 pm »
the spray we got was a buck a can at Value Village on Centennial and Prescott. When I can afford to order an official wig, I will

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 05:39:06 pm »
the spray we got was a buck a can at Value Village on Centennial and Prescott. When I can afford to order an official wig, I will
Do you think it would damage your hair?
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 05:41:12 pm »
my hair was fine, it was just a little stiff until I got it ALL out lol
I had to wash my hair twice

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 05:43:49 pm »
my hair was fine, it was just a little stiff until I got it ALL out lol
I had to wash my hair twice
when its in your hair is it like hair spray? and is it itchy?
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 05:47:30 pm »
Your hair will get pretty stiff, and might flake a little if you get too rough with it, but it's not really itchy. It stinks like hell though when you're first applying it, so facemasks or an open window is reccomended. And wear a towel you don't care what happens to it to protect your clothes, and cover your face. And if you DO get pink on your hands or face, it comes off easy with hot water and soap. I know it's not very eco-friendly, but sometimes it's all you got

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 06:10:10 pm »
Your hair will get pretty stiff, and might flake a little if you get too rough with it, but it's not really itchy. It stinks like hell though when you're first applying it, so facemasks or an open window is reccomended. And wear a towel you don't care what happens to it to protect your clothes, and cover your face. And if you DO get pink on your hands or face, it comes off easy with hot water and soap. I know it's not very eco-friendly, but sometimes it's all you got
Ok thanks :]
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 06:47:26 pm »
no problem ^_^

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 07:07:41 pm »
no problem ^_^
XD i can't wait for the con
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 07:19:52 pm »
I know! It's my favorite thing ever- i look forward to it every year (even though I've only ever gone twice, I missed a year)

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 07:55:36 pm »
I know! It's my favorite thing ever- i look forward to it every year (even though I've only ever gone twice, I missed a year)
same here :] only 2 times for me 2 XD
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »
Yay for 3rd timers!! lol

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
Yay for 3rd timers!! lol
hey were u shuichi last year and sung in the karaoke room?
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 08:58:02 pm »
this last one? Yes indeedy do ^_^ With Ryuichi, I sang the rage beat.
here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANl8vQ_aPLg&feature=channel_page

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »
this last one? Yes indeedy do ^_^ With Ryuichi, I sang the rage beat.
here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANl8vQ_aPLg&feature=channel_page
OHHHHH I SAW YOU :] and i got glomped by Ryuichi in the park......
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »
were you shuichi? or Touma? or someone else....??

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 10:04:35 pm »
were you shuichi? or Touma? or someone else....??
I cosplayed as ritsuka...a bad one......(last minute, I just picked up random stuff........lol)
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)