Author Topic: Satin, Crosettes and hoopskirts oh my!  (Read 1941 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Satin, Crosettes and hoopskirts oh my!
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:16:55 pm »
Well I have all the things i need for my corsette, i have all the satin, and the hoop skirt is on its way.

now i just worry of how i'm going to move in all this! >_<
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Re: Satin, Crosettes and hoopskirts oh my!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:34:27 pm »
carriage? and lots of practice.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:34:44 pm by Seraph »
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:29:07 pm »
It's not nearly as terrifying as it all sounds.  I wore my hoops out for the first time to ALA earlier this month, and the biggest pain in the butt (besides the fact that my skirts were a bit too long in the front and I kept catching my toes on them -- thank goodness it was just a test run) is things like stairs.  I don't know how many bones your hoop skirt has, but pick up the second hoop from the top (assuming you're looking at three or four of them) for things like stairs.  (Sitting down, grab the second hoop from the back and hike it up above your tush.  It'll all settle when you sit, for srs.)

I suggest trying it around the house at first, of course.  But I have managed some pretty funny angles in hoops and corset to snap pictures of friends, and discovered I can go from flat on the ground to standing with no trouble even corseted (though that was without hoops).  Above all else, get used to moving in it all.  The fact that you have this huge clearance will throw you otherwise.

But they're so much fun.  Really. :3  You feel all floofy.  And a properly fitted corset doesn't necessarily hinder your movements too much, aside from things like bending at the waist.  (Put your shoes on before you put a lot of the rest of your costume on, unless you have minions or slip-ons. I made that mistake once.  OW.)

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:23:54 pm »
@myachod
thats some useful tips.  thanks.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:27:42 pm »
xD i'll use those tips of yours

i like the shoes idea... i could recruit a few minions >:3

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:08:37 am »
No prob!  Always glad to offer pointers where I can.  :3  If there's any other questions I can help with on this, let me know -- if I can't answer it, I know plenty of folks who can.

(To put my stuff on, it seriously goes undershirt, stockings, bloomers, boots, corset, hoops, petticoat, EVERYTHING ELSE.  It's kind of hilarious.  But minions are always good -- for walking around especially as well.)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 01:22:30 am »
i fear when i have to go up and down the stairs or worse...

the bathroom O_O

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:35 am »
i fear when i have to go up and down the stairs or worse...

the bathroom O_O

Down stairs is really easy -- the hoops keep everything out far enough that there's nothing for you to step on.  Up ... you just have to make sure you hold the front up (I picked up my second hoop, and didn't really have problems, but you want to make sure you grab everything else along with the hoop or you'll trip over fabric).  Bathrooms ... well, I didn't try, but at Faire every year we have ladies in full Elizabethan nobles' outfits using the porta-potties.  (I do recommend, per their experience, the handicapped ones for size -- or better yet, the one in your room, where you know how dirty everything is.)  :3

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:39 am »
xD wise advice!

my prediciment is i will be at the lloyed mall in my dress, leaving little options for wide bathrooms but make do I shall >:3