Author Topic: Should I wear a wig?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
Should I wear a wig?
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:20 am »
I have really long hair and all my cosplays have long hair too expect Koishi. but I have never worn a wig before and plus I dont even know to get all my hair into a wig. D: Ive tried before and failed. :/ sorry I cant post a picture of myself at the moment.
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Should I wear a wig?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:47:54 am »
Wigs will pull a costume together and make it look amazing (if you have a good wig) so I would say yes. As for getting all your hair under a wig you need a wig cap. They sell them at places like Sally's beauty supplies and if you get your wig online most of those places have them too.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 01:05:56 pm »
Agreeing with nikkiolie.

For one it looks like all of the characters you are doing have different colored hair and it's better the be accurate to that. Whenever I see someone who doesn't have the same hair color as whoever they are cosplaying it seems really half-assed to me (Not to sound rude, just how I feel). Also having a wig to throw on whenever saves a lot of time in styling. Even if it is just long straight hair you have to brush it and maybe put some stuff in it to give volume.

Even if your hair is long you can get it under a wig with a wig cap like nikki said. There are a lot of tutorials on cosplay.com, deviantart.com, and even youtube. I'd suggest one, but I have really short hair so putting on a wig cap is super easy for me :B

Good luck with your stuff~
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:41:45 pm »
Agree with ze lovelies above. 'Cept I was cheap for 08 and didn't buy a cap to keep my hair in place under the wig. I bought a pair of Nylon tights @ dollar store + cut off leggings part and wore the top as a cap. Worked just fine!

If ur character has unique hair, then I would go for a wig! I had long hair too, but I wasn't going to bleach+ dye it all light purple. :P
And so it begins...

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 02:30:02 pm »
THE ANSWER IS YES.

There are tutorials online that you can find for those with long hair. The pin curl technique is a popular one, but there are bunches of ways to do it. And you've gotta use a wig cap or else it's darn near impossible. A personal favorite link to some help.

Using a wig will make your costume lots lots lots better.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 02:34:06 pm »
Yeah the tights will work just fine too....though I tried that in a different way and it hurt my head....but I got a few wig caps and I like them much better now. The few ones that I have are black. I need to get some tan ones for my lighter wigs.

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 03:12:58 pm »
I can sympathize with you there! I have hair down to my rear and its impossible to get into a wig all the way. Most of the times I just wet it all down, then braid tight braids and use bobby pins to pin it to my head, but sometimes that doesn't even work! D: I will have to look into those wig caps tho... I just hope it would work for me, considering I have thick and long hair ><

Could someone post some of those ways to pin your long hair so you can wear a wig? It would be much help ^-^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »
here is a toutorial that explains things very well. There are a few of them. Just look at the description for the other links

http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-How-to-do-pincurls-45164922

Offline Hisuji_Bash

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:31:10 pm »
@CharlotteElbourne
Hope it helps. kinda the same info.
http://store.baronunlimited.com/capdemo.html
&
http://www.cosplay.com/archive/index.php/t-4799.html

@kit2kit
Get a wig! It looks soo much better, trust me I know...;>.>
Soul Eater: Soul (90%)
Metal Gear Solid1: Meryl(20%)
Guilty Gear: Sol(30%)
Baccano:Carol(85%)

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:37:07 pm »
I can sympathize with you there! I have hair down to my rear and its impossible to get into a wig all the way. Most of the times I just wet it all down, then braid tight braids and use bobby pins to pin it to my head, but sometimes that doesn't even work! D: I will have to look into those wig caps tho... I just hope it would work for me, considering I have thick and long hair ><

Could someone post some of those ways to pin your long hair so you can wear a wig? It would be much help ^-^

Yeah Thats how long my hair is too :x
'16 Cosplay

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:42 pm »
Thanks people. : D I can probably figure it out now... maybe... but I will try and get a wig and experiment with it : D
'16 Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »
@CharlotteElbourne
Hope it helps. kinda the same info.
http://store.baronunlimited.com/capdemo.html
&
http://www.cosplay.com/archive/index.php/t-4799.html

@kit2kit
Get a wig! It looks soo much better, trust me I know...;>.>

those were useful. My hair isn't too long, but it is long enough to be a pain in the butt. So I may use that first link....I'll try it out and see how it looks ;D

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 05:52:37 pm »
Those helped a lot! :D Thank you! ^^ I will have to try that pincurl... looks good!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 08:19:43 pm »
I have never tried it. I've always been too impatient to do something like that x.x But it does look like it would work really really well.