Author Topic: Cosplay Question!!!  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Question!!!
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »
    Okay So this is my first year going to Kumoricon (that's if my cousin doesn't back down at the last minute one me...) But anyways I'm going to try and cosplay I have some ideas and stuff, and one of them is an Original Character of mine that I use for rps and stuff. and was wonder is it a good idea to go as her? or should I try and pick a character people would know? Because I want to go as one character all the days. I'm just thinking it would be easier for me to do that because it's my first time going to a con.
so what do you all think? Should I go with the OC or not?

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
Re: Cosplay Question!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:06:48 pm »
If you're able to do a good job on the cosplay and it'll look great, then go for it! ^^
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:12:33 pm »
If you're able to do a good job on the cosplay and it'll look great, then go for it! ^^

I'm pretty sure I can get it to look how I want it to once I find the right fabric and stuff lol but I have a feeling dying my hair to the right color will b the hardest.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:14:30 pm »
o.o What hair colour is it?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:17:59 pm »
like hot pink for the bangs and all the rest is black that's almost blue

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:34 pm »
Get a wig and sharpie dye it.

To get your hair pink, you'll have to bleach it. Bleach kills your hair.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:20:36 pm »
that's a good idea thank you ^_^

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:38 pm »
No problem! ^^
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30:16 pm »
lol now i just need to find some good fabric and some black short pants that go to my knees.
I need something for an organization 13 jacket but I've put my own twist to it.
but I'm sure i can find something before the con ^_^

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:33:59 pm »
In my opinion cosplaying as OC is rather pointless. No one will recognize you, and most the time it looks rather silly.

My suggestion find a character you like from a show you like and cosplay them.

And never go as a character you made you for a preexisting franchise, that just looks disrespectful.

oslapedo

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »
And never go as a character you made you for a preexisting franchise, that just looks disrespectful.

Whut?

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:55 pm »

Whut?
I find disrespectful when people see their fan characters as important as the real characters.

But that's just my opinion.

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:12 pm »

Whut?
I find disrespectful when people see their fan characters as important as the real characters.

I wasn't saying oc was more important and i'm not saying that your saying i am also but I was just wondering what people thought it all before i get there because it's my first time is all

and i like to hear what people have to say before i do what ever it is
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:44:44 pm by Koiakatt »

oslapedo

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:45 pm »

Whut?

I don't really care, I just didn't know what you were talking about :D

You mean OCs?

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:59 pm »

Whut?

You mean OCs?
OCs, fan characters, same thing different words.

@Koia
If you plan on cosplaying your OC, to me it seems that instead of paying tribute to an actual character, you rather have people pay attention to your own character.

Of course I'm a bitter cynic.

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »

Whut?

You mean OCs?
OCs, fan characters, same thing different words.

@Koia
If you plan on cosplaying your OC, to me it seems that instead of paying tribute to an actual character, you rather have people pay attention to your own character.

Of course I'm a bitter cynic.

I like getting other views on stuff like this because i'm very new at it and my cousin will be very little help with that kind of stuff but she is good with hair and make up but not the cosplay part (she's not a cosplayer but has been to a con before)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 10:05:45 pm »
I would say that if your original character had some characteristics that are very noticeable then go for it. I mean if your OC has wings or something and you do it really well people will notice you and take your picture. I take pictures of good costumes, not only of characters I know. I don't care where they came from, just how well they are made.

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
I would say that if your original character had some characteristics that are very noticeable then go for it. I mean if your OC has wings or something and you do it really well people will notice you and take your picture. I take pictures of good costumes, not only of characters I know. I don't care where they came from, just how well they are made.
I think people would be able to tell because I'm going to have like a big organization 13 simble on my back along with almost like a vest version of the jacket they have that's if i go as my character
when i first showed my friends the drawing of the character they all asked right away if that was an organization 13 jacket just with no sleeves but shorter also it's going to have the hood and the chain things along with the jackets main style like thing and also adding the simble on the back. so i'm pretty sure people will be able to tell that it's an organization 13 character if they know about them but thats just what i think

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 10:37:41 pm »
I don't really see how dressing up as a character you made up is disrespectful. oUo; I don't see how even fan-characters are disrespectful. You're still a fan of the series, what harm is there? Imitation is a form of flattery, after all.

And I don't see the point in changing your mind to an existing character... Though you should ask yourself; Are you cosplaying for yourself? Or are you just doing it for attention? Or maybe you're doing it to please other people?
 Wear what you want to wear, not for what others are going to think, or not to be more popular :/

--

Though really, if you want any attention being an OC, as Nikki said, there should be some defining characteristics, so that you don't just look like someone who just was too lazy to get a cosplay. (by that I mean, someone in a T-shirt and a naruto headband claiming they're an OC)

I really like your outfit idea, though if you try to pass it off as 'another Org member', you might get many murmurs or accusations of being a Mary Sue :'D Maybe not to your face, but...

Offline Koiakatt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:55 pm »
I don't really see how dressing up as a character you made up is disrespectful. oUo; I don't see how even fan-characters are disrespectful. You're still a fan of the series, what harm is there? Imitation is a form of flattery, after all.

And I don't see the point in changing your mind to an existing character... Though you should ask yourself; Are you cosplaying for yourself? Or are you just doing it for attention? Or maybe you're doing it to please other people?
 Wear what you want to wear, not for what others are going to think, or not to be more popular :/

--

Though really, if you want any attention being an OC, as Nikki said, there should be some defining characteristics, so that you don't just look like someone who just was too lazy to get a cosplay. (by that I mean, someone in a T-shirt and a naruto headband claiming they're an OC)

I really like your outfit idea, though if you try to pass it off as 'another Org member', you might get many murmurs or accusations of being a Mary Sue :'D Maybe not to your face, but...

I'm not one who likes a lot of attention and I like to make myself happy more then others (thats sounds kind of selfish but i'm not and not trying to be)  but i do like to follow the rules but only if it keeps me safe and not made fun of. and i'm not doing it for my friends.

It's not going to be lazy like the naruto thing ^_^. because that is kind of a sad attempt at that kind of thing.
yes thats true *sighs* but i was thinking of a vest for two reast really one it looks cool when i draw it and two i wont get dehydrated or heatstrock because for some reason that happeneds to me A LOT in the summer because I get hot easily for some reason and in the winter it's the same with just with being cold